Grants:Project/Rapid/Launching of Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin./Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went? Yes we delighted to have met our goals. We (I'm speaking on behalf of the University's club) wanted to establish the club by reaching out to the university community of undergraduates and academia to come and know how to get involved in Wikimedia projects. The response to the publicity on Day 1 and the plenary sessions on Day 2 showed that there were many young untapped volunteer resources that were waiting for such a program as this.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|100 participants||114 participants||Registration here was massive due to the publicity around school and on the internet as promised. Attendance will be mailed to WMF.|
|Number of active editors involved: 4||4 experienced editors were at the event||I|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Everything from the awareness to the event worked on well. The founding members of the club worked hand in hand to send messages across various platforms, departments and campuses. The speakers were able to connect and expose the students' mind towards the needs of Wikipedia for willing young smart Africans to bridge the African gap. All of them were interested in becoming editors. Some have accounts now, have started editing and are currently awaiting the next meetup/workshop for us to get more practical.
- We had super fast internet at the venue.
- What did not work so well?
- A number of participants registered at the event using User:Olaniyan Olushola's event organizer privilege as an account creator but they have not received an email. So they are as excited as frustrated.
- The procurement of the venue was a huge issue with the school's estate management. Since the University's Auditorium Basement was the most suitable and befitting location to usher in Wikimedia to the school, we were made to change our event date nearly 4 times to get the venue. One time, they gave us a clearance, another time they deny saying so. This made a lot of prospective participants for the launch lose interest.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We had a target of 100 students in attendance. We had 56/134 of those who registered through Google Forms at the event. Fortunately, our offline publicity helped pull the crowd. Next time, we shall balance efforts towards both mediums of publicity.
- Personally, although I had delegated very appropriately, there were certain areas I still wished I had delegated someone to work on. It would have helped in some ways. The team is/was new and I took some things on myself e.g. anchoring the event, handling the electrical equipment.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Expenses: I got $1,159.64 instead of $1,216.64. So being short of $57. Being my first grant, I short shortsightedly used Oanda as recommended by Meta so as not to do the wrong thing. Meanwhile in reality, the exchange of $1,159 resulted to us having N354650 at N306/$.To help absorb this, members like User:Bilijin, User:Teemah 24, User:MaryamOke among others had to incur costs voluntarily on themselves for the success of the event.
|08/06/18||Refreshment for publicity day/ June 8||1260||It was restricted to 7 members only to save costs. Not all 7
took refreshments due to Ramadan.
|08/06/18||Refreshment for main event day/ June 9||25000||Being one of the last major expenses, we lowered our budget
to fit into what we had.
|09/06/18||Camera||0||User:Kenogenic was the official photographer for the day. He
did it at his own expensesaving us much funds for other parts
of the event.
|Merchandise Shirts (30pcs with prints)||90000|
|22/05/18||Transportation of shirts from Lagos||1500|
|21/05/18||Data (pre event publicity on social media, maintenance
of Google forms, event day)
|11/05/18||Roll up banner||30000|
|Posters and fliers||28350|
|09/05/18||Interstate travel for Coordinators||40000||Olaniyan Olushola|
|09/05/18||Hotel for Coordinators||60000||Olaniyan Olushola|
|09/05/18||Coordinators' feeding||30000||Olaniyan Olushola|
|Contingencies (transport, bank charges, phone calls, printing of letters, stationery)||8580|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes we do have N1960/$6 left.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
See all on Category:Wikimedia Fan Club UNILORIN