Grants:Project/Rapid/Leeturtle/Wiki Loves Voices 2016
Please see the sample Equipment application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal. For example, if you want to add content on a specific subject.
- Improve content in SQ Wikipedia (selected articles will be recorded);
- Improve audio content in Wikipedia Commons;
- Engage existing active editors from SQ Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment?
There is almost no audio content in Albanian language at the moment in terms of audio samples (published in the commons) or quality articles in audio content, which would help the Albanian speaking Wikipedia users with impaired vision issues. In addition, there is a gap on the Wikimedia Commons project of sample audio content in different languages that can be used in different articles such as numbers spelling, alphabet etc.
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?
- audio Recording workshop using Audacity, an open source audio editing software;
- recording sprints (4 in total), where participants will record audio samples in Albanian (an example of these samples can be found here);
- recording sprints (4 in total), where participants will record selected articles from SQ Wikipedia.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community?
At least two experienced Wikipedians will be responsible for the equipment. All the materials will be installed at our local hackerspace, where the keys are held by Wikipedians related to this project. Access to the premises will be allowed only to these Wikipedians only and the hackerspace staff. The status and the tracking process of the equipment will be published at the Meta page of the project which can be found here;
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom?
The equipment will be used be experienced Wikipedians and hopefully will be used for as long as it is functional. I plan also to use the equipment for a podcast news related to the different projects of the Wikimedia community in Albania and around the world. Also, once the project is over everyone that wants to contribute more audio content can use the equipment with the condition of using it carefully.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
This project is considered very important due to the fact that the audio content in Albanian language is almost non-existent and also due to the fact that audio samples are missing from the commons project. This project hopefully will inspire new contributors to record even more articles in SQ Wikipedia after the 1st phase of the implementation of the project is over.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of articles recorded in Albanian language (similar to WikiProject Spoken Wikipedia project): 30;
- Number of articles about Albania recorded in other languages: 10;
- Number of audio recordings used on Wikimedia projects: 40;
- Number of help pages for the sustainability of the project: 10.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:Leeturtle in the coordinating role (Wikipedian and podcast producer for many years);
- add your username if you want to help with this project
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Audio isolation equipment (appropriate sponge) and installation: TBA;
- Professional microphone X2: 250€ X 2 = 500€ (estimation);
- Laptop (needed for audio editing): 450€;
- Promo materials (posters, stickers etc): 80€
- Desk (for placing the recording material based on this one): 57€ + 10€ (transport) = 67€
- 2 chairs: bigger (here the details) and a smaller one (here the details): 115€ (big chair) + 26€ (small chair) + 10€ (transport) = 151€;
- Venue usage (in promotional price): 60€/month X 5 months = 300€;
- Drinks and snacks for events and recording sessions: 25€ (per event) X 8 (events) = 200€.
members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!