Grants:Project/Rapid/Nabin K. Sapkota/Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 Nepal/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
- A 30 days online photo competition.
- 10+ outreach programs and Photowalk in different part of Nepal.
- Competition winner felicitation program
- Social media promotion
- Regular meetup with team members to discuss about competition progress.
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- First of all reminder of the goals we set before the starts of the project:
- To engage new and existing members of the community
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of monuments of Nepal to Wikimedia Commons
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects
- To increase the number of Quality Images of monuments of Nepal in Wikimedia Commons
Now as mentioned above all the goals were been acheived within the competition time frame. All our team members and community is happy and satisfied with the output we've created.
Photowalk at Basantapur Durbar Square, Nepal
Wikimedians of Nepal organized an photowalk at Basantapur Durbar Square on 11th September. Many areas of Basantapur Durbar Square and its premises were captured during the photowalk event.
- Date:11 September, 2016
- Basantapur Durbar Square, Nepal
Outreach program in LA College, Patan, Nepal
Wikimedians of Nepal organized an outreach events at LA College, Patan to motivate the +2 studens for contributing their photographs in WLM. More than 70+ enthusiastic students and photographers were participated during the outreach event.
- Date:14 September, 2016
- Little Angels' College, Lalitpur
Lists of participants
Photowalk at Patan Durbar Square
Wikimedians of Nepal organized an photowalk at Patan Durbar Square with students of LA College. More than 40+ enthusiastic students and photographers were participated during the photowalk event.
- Date:15 September, 2016
- Patan Durbar Square, Lalitpur
Photo-Walk at Swayambhunath
- Date:17 September, 2016
- Swayambhunath, Kathmandu
Photo-Walk to Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- Date:18 September, 2016
- Bhaktapur Durbar Square, Nepal
Photo-Walk to Patan Durbar Square (Night Photowalk), Nepal
- Date:22 September, 2016
- Basantapur Durbar Square, Nepal
Wikimedians of Nepal organized an outreach events at one of the most popular photography institution Photowalk Nepal at Patan, to motivate the pro photographers for contributing their photographs in WLM. More than 18 enthusiastic photographers were participated during the outreach event.
- Date:16 September, 2016
- Photowalk Nepal, Lalitpur
- Date:20 September, 2016
- Date:25 September, 2016
To built the wiki community in every part of Nepal, Maithili Wikimedians organize one more outreach program at Janakpur, Nepal. Janakpur is one of the most ancient city and it has lots of cultural heritage. The main aim of the outreach event is to promote and aware photographers about the Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nepal competition.
- Date:22 September, 2016
- Janakpur Temple Premises and around
The felicitation programme was organized by Wikimedians of Nepal to award winners of the WLN 2016 Nepal on 17th December, 2016.
- 1 Project status
- 2 Activities and lessons learned
- 3 Goals
- 4 Outreach Events
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Outreach program in LA College, Patan, Nepal
- 7 Photowalk at Patan Durbar Square
- 8 Photo-Walk at Swayambhunath
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Photo-Walk to Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- 11 Photo-Walk to Patan Durbar Square (Night Photowalk), Nepal
- 12 Gallery
- 13 Outreach program at Photowalk Nepal Patan, Nepal
- 14 Photo-Walk to Kirtipur
- 15 Photo Walk at Panauti , Kavre District
- 16 Outreach and Photowalk Event by Maithili Wikimedians at Janakpur
- 17 Gallery
- 18 Felicitation Event
- 19 Outcome
- 20 Global Metrics
- 21 Learning
- 22 Outcomes and impact
- 23 Media Coverage
- 24 Finances
- 25 Anything else
|Timing||Session||Topics to be covered||Coordinator/Resource Person|
|☼ 2:00 pm - 2:30 pm||Registration||Sujan Shrestha|
|☼ 2:30 pm - 2:45 pm||Welcome & Introduction||
||Shree Krishna Dhital|
|☼ 2:45 pm - 3:00 pm||Competition Overview||Statistics and Competition overview||Nirmal Dulal|
|☼ 3:00 am – 3:20 pm||Prize distribution||Prize distribution of Winners||WLM 2016 in Nepal Participant|
|☼ 3:20 pm – 3:40 pm||Participant speech||Individual speech by Winners||WLM Participant|
|☼ 3:40 pm - 4:00 pm||☕ High Tea/Coffee Break|
|☼ 4:00 pm - 4:15 pm||Ending Note||Thanking||Deependra Bajracharya, Min Ratna Bajracharya|
|☼ 4:15 pm - 4:30 pm||Guest speech and Closing||Closing cermony||Lilanath Ghimire, Nabin Sapkota|
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|At least 5000+ photographs of monuments were uploaded to commons from all over Nepal.||8500+ photographs of monuments were uploaded to commons.||Target reached.|
|At least 50 new contributors takes part in the competition.||117 (70%) newly registered users from total 167 users takes part in the competition and upload their images to commons.||Target reached.|
|Coverage of the event in mass media reports and other channels of outreach.||The coverage of the event reported in national daily newspapers of Nepal.1||Target reached.|
|1. # of active editors involved||30||active contributor that takes part in the competition.|
|2. # of new editors||117 (70%) of 167 Stats||more than our expectation.|
|3. # of individuals involved||300+|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||614Stats||we are adding some quality images to Wikipedia articles.|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||8587Stats||uploaded to commons|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||15+|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||50467.2 MBytes Stats|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Yes, we really did. The massive supports and participation of contributors during outreach and photowalks proves that. As exceeding the pre-determined target even show our motivational activities to grab new contributors.
- What worked well?
- Well, talking about the whole competition period, almost everything’s work well as per we planned.
-More than 10+ photo walk were organized inside Kathmandu, Lalitpur, Bhaktapur, Kirtipur, Kavre, Rajbiraj, Janakpur and other parts of Nepal.
-5 outreach events were organized to boost the competition around Kathmandu, Rajbiraj, Janakpur and other places of Nepal.
- What did not work so well?
- Quantitatively, somehow we achieved the target almost double than we targeted but qualitatively we didn't able to work well.
-Only less number of qualitative photographs were been uploaded by contributors.
- What would you do differently next time?
- As it is said that every unsuccessful history are the learning steps of success, we also learn couple of things during the competition period. As we are recovering all the mistakes and drawbacks from earlier competition we've organized, we're still trying to learn much from this also and will continue the process of learning in future events as well.
- Besides these we'll focus on upgrading the quality photo contribution. We'll train contributors about the essence of quality photo contribution and licencing procedures.
Outcomes and impact
See the event related pages for outcomes and impact of the competition:
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nepal
- Wiki Loves Monuments Nepal 2016
- Wiki Loves Monuments Nepal 2016 Felicitation Programme
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nepal/Outreach Program
- हेर्नुहोस् विकिलभ्स मोन्युमेण्टस्का लागि खिचिएका सांस्कृतिक धरोहरका १० मनमोहक तस्वीरहरु
- विकिपिडियाको सांस्कृतिक सम्पदा फोटो प्रतियोगितामा अधिकारी पहिलो, कस्ता छन् टप टेन फोटो (फोटो फिचर)
- यस्ता छन् विकि लभ्स मोन्युमेन्ट्स प्रतियोगिताका लागि नेपालबाट खिचिएका १० उत्कृष्ठ तस्विर
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Outreach and Photowalk around Kathmandu||Travel, Food and Beverages||11 Days||8, 090||8, 090||NPR||Photowalk around Kathmandu and outreach with various phowalk parties|
|2||Outreach and Photowalk around
Patan and Bhaktapur
|Travel, Food and Beverages||7 Days||17,754||17,754||NPR||2 outreach-114 participants, 2 Photowalk-52 participants|
|3||Photowalk at Kavre and Kirtipur||Travel, Food and Beverages||2 Days||4,315||4,315||NPR|
|4||Outreach program from Maithili Wikimedias||Travel, Food and Beverages||5 person||31,240||15,057||NPR||Outreach program at Janakpur from Maithili Wikimedians
& Travel of Maithili Wikimedians from Rajbiraj to Kathmandu to attend felicitation program
|5||Jury Procedure||Travel, Food and Beverages and Internet||5 person||4,407||4,407||NPR|
|6||Printing||Certificate, Token of Appriciations,
Badge , Strickers e.t.c for winners, jurors, guest and other associates
|7||Prizes & Awards||T-Shirt for winners, jurors, guest and other associates||36,000||36,000||NPR|
|8||Kathmandu Felicitation Program||Venue, Snacks, Breakfast, coffee and Projector Charge||60||20,000||20,000||NPR|
|9||Stationery goods||Welcome Scarf, Certificate bags, Marker||2,250||2,250||NPR|
|10||Prizes & Awards||Winners of WLM 2016 in Nepal||4 person||35,000||35,000||NPR||1st, 2nd, 3rd and Top Uploader|
|11||Miscellaneous||Telephone and other Operating cost||8,500||8,500||NPR|
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 176298.93 NPR
- Total amount requested from WMF
- 176298.93 NPR
- Total amount spent on this project
- 1,92,481 NPR
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 1,92,481 NPR
- Total outstanding amount
- 16,183 NPR
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
Anything else you want to share about your project?
How did we let people know about the contest?
- First of all, as per we promised in proposal, we avoid the use of paper promotion with the ultimate tagline of
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere, 3 sheets of A4 Paper = 1 liter of water
To acquire couple of thousands pictures we can’t sacrifice hundreds of trees to waste. So, we started a new innovative phase to achieve our goals like .
- Rigorous Emailing
- Social Media
- Tell- A friend
- Central Notice across Wikimedia projects; to be directed to our site e.t.c