Grants:Project/Rapid/Nnamdi Azikiwe Library 2020 Wikipedia A+F edit-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are doing two edit-a-thons and series of trainings.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community
- We are going to publicise the event at the University website, library face book page, University radio (Lion FM) and Federal Radio Cooperation of Nigeria (FRCN), a federal radio station covering the whole of Eastern Nigeria where University of Nigeria is located. We will also publicise the program through posters, handbills and our existing edit-a-thon editors WhatsApp group platform.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
Yes. Our facilitators have acquired enough experience. Two of them have been facilitators since 2017 and the other two since 2018. Moreover experienced editors like Mohammed Sadat ( User: Masssly) happily joins us remotely through Skype. Mr Olaniyan Olusholu will also join us this time through the same means..
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Yes, participants have the equipment and skill to contribute high quality content. Our participants are University lecturers who use computer technology everyday for their research. So, they have the skill to work in online environment. In the university, almost every academic staff has a laptop computer. The University Library also has three computer laboratories containing two thousand, three hundred and eighty computers. Both Local Area and Wide Area Internet Networks exist in the University. There is electricity and the University Library has a stand- by electric power generator. Furthermore, MTN Internet router, Projector screen and machine (Epson), Splinter, Public Address System, VGA cables belonging to Wikimedia Foundation but domiciled in the library for use during edit-a-thons are available
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
Already, there is an existing WhatsApp group platform for our participants. New members join the group as they come. Moreover, the library is planning to open a separate face book page for our editors.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Yes. There is need for remuneration for our participants. Our participants are University Lecturers and post graduate students who operate under tight schedule. A little remuneration will go a long way in encouraging them, It will also be good to have prizes for repeat or returning participants (people who have been editing with us over the past years), best article editors and creators.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 2
- Number of participants 50
- Number of new editors 35
- Number of of articles created or improved 50
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We have the following resources:
Good Library Space
2, 380 laptop computers domiciled in the Library
Internet Connectivity (Both LAN and Wan)
MTN Internet Router, Projector Machine and Screen, Public Address System, VGA cable and Splinter
- The person organising this project is the University Librarian, Prof. Chinwe Ezeani represented by Dr Ngozi Osadebe, Miss Delight Udochukwu and Mrs Ezinne Njoku. These people act as Facilitators to the project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Resources we need.||Unit Price (NGN)||Quantity||Total|
|Lunch for 50 participants and three facilitators||2500||53||132,500|
|Tea break for 50 participants and three facilitators||1000||53,000||53,000|
|Drinks (Water 10pkts)||700||10||7000|
|A3 size Poster||50||42,000|
|Diesel (for backup)||20||20,000|
|Bus to convey participants form outside Nsukka||20,000|
|Writing Pads for Participants||550||60||33,000|
|Publicity (Lion FM)||15,000|
|Prizes for 3 best editors||5,000||3||15,000|
|Prizes for 3 best article creators||10,000||3||30,000|
|Prizes for 7 first repeat participants to enroll||5,000||7||35,000|
|Certificates for participants||400||53||21, 200|
|Accommodation and feeding for participants from outside Enugu State||15, 000||5||75,000|
|$1,797.9 (Oanda, March 9, 2020)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Librarians are unique assets to Wikimedia projects. T CellsTalk 11:27, 5 February 2020 (UTC)
- This is an opportunity to support a growing community that have demonstrated the zeal to become one of the forces to reckon with in Nigeria community. Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 17:13, 10 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support Celestinesucess (talk) 19:18, 10 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support —M@sssly✉ 20:41, 10 February 2020 (UTC)