Grants:Project/Rapid/OFWA/Ashesi Education Program/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Our goals for this project was partly met as most of the lecturers we had made initial contact with were on some sort of leave. In spite of these challenges we still managed to ably meet the following goals as suggested in our grant request.
- Created the awareness about the Wikipedia Education Program.
- Increased the visibility of the campus based club.
- Recruited about 15 new students to the club on campus.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Awareness of Wikipedia and sister projects will be created for over 300 students and over 10 Academic lecturers at the Ashesi University.||Wikipedia was publicized on campus, while displaying the use and reason why it should be a starting point for research.||This was achieved through 3 info sessions organized by the club on campus.|
|Get the Education Program extended beyond the Social Theory course with an inclusion of one other academic course at Ashesi University.||Conversation still ongoing and is most likely to be completed during next semester.||Discussion adapting a similar model for the computer science class is still in discussion and hence why this targeted outcome is still pending.|
|Create a partnership with the Computer Science Department and get to train at least 10 programmers to learn to Develop on the MediaWiki platform.||Unaccomplished||Unfortunately this couldn't hold because the activities of the department was tightly packed and the lecturer responsible (whom we had initially contacted) for the class fell sick and was on sick leave for the rest of the semester.|
|Recruit at least 10 Ambassadors for the continuous training and support on campus||This target was achieved and these students played a critical role in our activities on campus.||The ambassadors engaged students on campus after events and provided support where needed.|
|Secure a partnership for the Wikipedia Library.||We were successful in gaining the club access to use the library or their activities.||This will encourage editathons that could make use of resources in the library for proper references on Wikipedia. We also mentioned the 1Lib1Ref campaign to the librarian and we hope or their participation in the upcoming campaign.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The selected event times were suitable and conducive for students. This graced us with larger audiences than in previous encounters, thanks to the campus ambassadors for their insights
- What did not work so well?
- We were advised against the use of the club logo we had created by the WMF and this cost the volunteer designer more time to create a new one that we couldn't at least compensate him for.
- Souvenirs came quite late because of this.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Pass all possible legal branding items such as logo etc. through the WMF to avoid time wasting in printing and designing of souvenirs.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|ITEMS||QUANTITY||UNIT PRICE GHC||TOTAL BUDGET GHC||TOTAL BUDGET USD|
|Roll up banners||3||350||1050||247.64|
Amount requested = $1827.36
Total expenditure = $1827.59
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?
It was a great experience working with the students as their direction or suggestion was mostly useful. This provided us with all the local or on campus knowledge required to engage students in activities.