This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. Wiki in Africa administered the grant on behalf of User:Ola.mahadi.
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
- Add new photos,Quotes of Sudanese women pioneers in Sport, Politics art and Academia.
- Train professional photographers on wiki commons and the creative common licenses
- Add and improve content on Wikipedia resources to the Wikipedia through official daily journals (interviews with Sudanese Women), provistion of source to she quots
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
This project comes within the big project Wiki Loves Women and as a continuation of Our community efforts in the global campaign of WikiGap. The main focus of the project is to contribute to filling the gap on Sudanese Women content both on Wikipedia and Wiki Commons.
The content about Sudanese women online is a reflection of the big gap in the reality between men and women, women tend to be ignored when it comes to public space and acknowledging their contribution to the communities and the Development of the Country.
This grant request is meant to help in changing the fact that now Sudanese women qouts are avilable in the arabic version of the project. Throught this participation in the #SheSaid drive in Sudan can be improved. The #SheSaid drive is aimed at improving the visibility of women in creating new or improving already existing Wikiquote entries related to them. It aims to getting women’s voices heard. The Sudanese's history depends a lot on oral history where her/story is kept behind closed doors.
As I am benefiting from the project of Wiki Loves Women this rapid grant will enable me to reach out to the greater community of content makers in Sudan.
This project is building on efforts that the community started in 2019 in enhancing content about Sudanese women and the focus will be on women in four sectors (Sport, art, politics, and Academia). This grant request is meant to support participation in the #SheSaid drive in my local community.
The #SheSaid drive is aimed at improving the visibility of women in creating new or improving already existing Wikiquote entries related to them. It aims at getting women’s voices heard.
First launched in October 2020, the #SheSaid campaign on Wikiquote has been an amazing success! Across 7 languages, by the 5th January 2021, it resulted overall in 867 new or improved articles (the majority new). Italian Wikiquote was the clear language winner (405 articles) with Ukraine (187) and French (106) coming not so close behind. Given its first edition success and noting that there is still a lot to do, the #SheSaid drive will run again end of 2021.
- Please read the post on diff about #sheSaid (English).
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- The Project is designed into two main interventions. One is targeting content writers "Journalists" and the other is Photographers
2. The project will be around organizing:
- One Wiki commons Training for Photographers (10 pp) between September- October 2021
- One Training for Female Journalist in Cooperation with the Sudanese Female Journalists Association to help in developing SheSaid quotes from Sudanese notable Women (10 participants)
- Two edit thon sessions for both Photographers and Journalists (Linking the photos taken with articles and quotes) October to November 2021. (8 pp each session + 2 facilitators= 20)
- Contracting 2 photographers to cover 20 Females in the 4 sectors identified to have their profile pictures taken and uploaded. September - October 2021
- Contract 2 Journalists to interview 10 Pioneers Sudanese Women or publish their portfolio and document their profile (Sources for quotes). September- October 2021
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Update on project plan and activities will be posted on a Community page on Meta Wikimedia Community User Group Sudan
4. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- The participants of the female journalist will be selected through the association committee of capacity building the selection criteria will be agreed upon with the team an announcement will be shared through the Sudan community channels and platforms.
- Community Facebook group and Page
- Wikimedia Sudan Community Whasapp and Telegram Groups
- Global drive communication channels include
- meta page Wiki Loves Women/SheSaid
- website: http://www.wikiloveswomen.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WikiLovesWomen
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WikiLovesWomen
- Telegram channels Wiki GenderGap, Wikiwomen, African wikimedians
5. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
- Sudan Community User Group organized several training session online and Offline and I have been part of the Organizing Team mainly taking care of the logistic and community networking .
- As an individual, I have more than 5 years of experience in alliance building and advocacy in issues related to Human/Women Right Youth Development and Community mobilization.
- The main focal person for this project will be Ms. Olla Mahadi user:ola.mahadi and this is teamwork which will include Ms. Maram Ali user:Maram ali ahmed and Mr. Esam Idres user: Esam Idris as Well as Ms.Fatima user:Fatima exceptional.
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high-quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The training session will require to make sure we support laptops and Internat access as well as a space with a stable electricity supply.
- For the contracted photographers they will have to secure their own cameras.
7. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- I expect to have extended my experience in leading a gender gap initiative in the Wikimedia network
- I expect to have achieved recruitment, training and team building of new editors in my local area, and intend to follow-up
- I expect to have extended my network of content creator in Wikimedia from Sudan
- The group of trained journalist will be the core group to continue the work on Women profiles both online and offline we will continue to support the group through discussion to help expand the coverage of the initiative, this will enable new content to be created about women.
- The photographers are then part of the Community and this will help us spread the knowledge they gain among their peers through their platforms.
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
9. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? Even though this is an individual Grant request but the implementation will be within the community goals and will utilize this opportunity for future work.
I think this project will help me with the community trigger support for the work related on gender gap within the journalist network especially in covering the different region of Sudan and Accessing women whom have been in the shade for so long.
- With the challenges Sudan is facing in the transitional period and the hard economic crisis the country is facing long term projects such as documentation tend to be less priorities and unable to secure fund for.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
By the end of this project I am expecting:
- The team will have an enhanced experience in organizing content creating and enhancing events especially around gender gap and with gender lens,
- I think I will have a better ability to spot the gender gap in the Sudanese content.
- We expect the project to establish a networking process between content makers, (photographers, journalists) which will contribute to the availability of resources for the creative common content created by Sudanese.
- By the end of the project I believe I will be able to meet the training of the Wiki Loves Women Focus Group
- Number of events =4
- Number of participants =16
- Number of new editors= 8
- Number of new Trained Photographers on Commons =8
- Number of articles created or improved=120
- Number of new Quotes =20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Refreshments: $100 x 4 sessions = $400
- Venue: $100 x 4 events = $400
- Hygiene package (Masks, Sanitizers) : $20*4=80$
- Internet support: $50 x 4 events = $200
- Outcomes of the training publishing in media (interviews and posters ) = $100
- Communication outreaches (Facebook, Instagram) = $150
- Stationary and Transportation for participants (like: pens, bookmark etc)= 15 ($) *4 (days of sessions) * 10 pp= 600
- Miscellaneous and contingency funds = $70
TOTAL $2000 Total in Local Currency= 896,000 Sudanese Pounds SDG
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Full Support for you Ola, go ahead Maram ali ahmed (talk) 20:04, 13 June 2021 (UTC)
- Great project and great individual behind it.Ravan (talk) 11:33, 14 June 2021 (UTC)
- Support. I am happy to support this initiative :) Anthere (talk)
- Strong support Of course, I am very happy to support this initiative as it is an extension of Wiki Loves Women and the activities of this year's Focus Group. Looking forward to seeing all the outcomes of it.Islahaddow (talk) 09:35, 15 June 2021 (UTC)
- Support great opportunity to have more content from the Sudan. Ola has been very helpful in connecting the Wikimedia community in the Sudan to other African Wikimedians as well as providing local support for a number of editors that have been referred to her. This would also be a great opportunity to involve the rest of the community in contributing content about the Sudan. AKibombo (talk) 20:07, 15 June 2021 (UTC)
- This would also be a great opportunity to get more editors contributing content about the Sudan. Tochiprecious (talk) 10:59, 18 June 2021 (UTC)
- Support I am very happy to support this initiative. Serieminou (talk) 22:36, 20 June 2021 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to join in as a volunteer 22.214.171.124 13:16, 18 March 2022 (UTC)