Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
1. Increase skills for existing editors:
- Increase the editing skill set of existing Igbo language editors.
2. Recruit new editors:
- Teach literate Igbos how to edit and translate Igbo Wikipedia and involve them in a weekly challenge to add content.
3. Add or improve the content on the Igbo Language Wikipedia platform of notable Igbos in Wikipedia Igbo Language platform by translating and creating new pages all in the Igbo language.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings? We are planning 2 pieces of training over 1 month focused on teaching people on how to translate and edit Igbo Wikipedia online, after the training, we will organise an edith-a-thon challenge that will reward highest editors weekly with data token and gifts.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. We had a face to face discussions with existing Igbo Language editors in Anambra State, Nigeria. There are 6 editors that are excited about the project and willing to volunteer their time to it. We will also use social media to call for new volunteers that we will train and bring into the Igbo Wikimedians User Group community. The following Organizations and Hubs will be partnering with us in Anambra State in areas of participant recruitment: • Caso-Wisdom Tech • Onitsha-Ado Youth Council of Nigeria Also, we will advertise this on our social media channels.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? We have 6 existing Igbo Language editors and me. I will also lead as the event organiser as I am skilled in that field. They are as follows: • Onyinyeonuoha • Chidimma Nnamani • Chineye Uzoh • Emeka Omata • Jay-Jay Agada • Charles Kwentoh • Chuke Obiamaka Support and training will be provided by User: Onyinyeonuoha and User:Uzoma Ozurumba
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high-quality content? If not, how will you support them? They possess the necessary computer devices for the project and we will be providing data tokens for online participants that show enough commitment.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)? We will add them to our Whatsapp group for editathon participants to talk and share ideas. A mailing list will be created and a support system set up to encourage new recruits.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? This is an experimental project in the midst of a difficult time of a pandemic called COVID-19 so, we are uncertain of the impact and outcome of this project. However, we are determined to explore this online way of organising training and learn from it.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of pieces of training: 2
- Number of participants: 50 in total
- Number of new editors: 10
- Number of articles created or improved: 30
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 15
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- 4 experienced Wikimedians who will attend the training and help in practical training
- Event organiser and Facilitator
3.Technical support from the User Group
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1. Prices for weekly winners of the edit-a-thon challenge = $100 x 4 events = $400
2. Zoom Pro subscription for the project = $200
3. Internet for the project = $400
4. Miscellaneous (for Digital fliers, etc) and logistics = $250
Total = 1,250 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong supportThis project will be the first individual project from our community in Anambra hub, and I know it will be a very successful project. Uzoma 15:29, 7 January 2020 (UTC)
- I strongly support this project because it will help create awareness in Anambra State and I've worked with Onyinye in previous projects in Anambra State she's very dedicated and a goal getter. Tochiprecious (talk) 06:11, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- Volunteer I will offer technical and advisory support. Uzoma 15:31, 7 January 2020 (UTC)