Grants:Project/Rapid/Pine/Continuation of educational video and website series/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The quality of script outputs were good.
- Much larger quantity of script output than initially estimated.
- What did not work so well?
- Topic chosen required more extensive explanation, and therefore more script writing, than initially estimated.
- The $2,000 budget was exhausted prior to the beta 3 script revisions
- The $2,000 budget was insufficient for production of all 30+ pages of script.
- What would you do differently next time?
- I am generally happy with how this project went. The most important problem was that my initial estimate of the length of the script that would be required was too low. This resulted in problems both for the schedule and for the budget. However, I do not know how I could have made a more accurate forecast. Overall, even if the estimate for time and budgets were off by 50%, because the project is very small scale with a budget of $2,000, this is much less of a problem than it would be if the project had a budget of $200,000. The pilot nature of the project, the relatively narrow scope, and the relatively small budget were good choices for risk management of this project.
- In hindsight I might have written more of the scenes as highly detailed outlines instead of a full word by word scripts. Moving from highly detailed outlines to full scripts could have waited until those scenes were selected for production.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Initial communications, including creation of content on Meta talk pages|
|Script draft alpha 1 and communications while this draft was being created|
|Communications regarding alpha 1|
|Script draft alpha 2|
|Communications regarding alpha 2|
|Script draft beta 1|
|Communications regarding beta 1|
|Script draft beta 2 for scenes selected for final production|
|Communications regarding beta 2|
|Script draft beta 3 for scenes selected for final production|
|Communications regarding beta 3|
|Production of the beta 3 scripts|
|Communications regarding the finished videos|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, a few cents that were earned as interest. The interest was deposited in my account after the March 31 end date. I can return this money to WMF or hold it for potential use in a future grant.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Overall I think that this was a good pilot project. The decision to have a limited budget of $2,000 and a relatively narrow scope were good choices for risk management. I am looking forward to seeing how the community uses the finished videos. I will wait to decide on next steps until I have had at least a few weeks to consider the community's feedback and to observe how the finished videos are being used.
Copy over some of the notes from the project notes page