Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- In 2022, Lezgi Wikipedia celebrates the 10th anniversary of its creation. We want not only to celebrate this event but also to increase the recognition of Wiki projects among native speakers of the Lezgian language. In addition, we want other parts of the world to learn more about the culture of Dagestan and the Lezgin people.
- The first goal of this project is to increase the content of multiple Wikimedia projects. To achieve this, we will conduct three article contests in Lezgi Wikipedia (the first one will be global and multilingual), and organise a Wiki expedition, during which we will take photos of the missing (according to Wikivoyage data) objects of cultural heritage for the Wikimedia Commons.
- The second goal is to popularize Wikipedia and Wiki projects among native speakers of Lezgian language. We are planning to hold a Wiki Seminar in Derbent (its organization is out of the scope of this grant), inviting some well-known Wikimedians there, who will make reports about their experience in Wiki Movement. Throughout the year, we will write press releases and reports on our events, and we hope that this will help in attracting new participants to the Lezgi Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The first global article contest — 10 years of Lezgi Wikipedia — will take place from 27 February to 27 March 2022. The main theme of the contest is Dagestan, as well as culture, history, and other topics related to the Lezgins. There will be four nominations in the contest, with three winners in each: 1. Global — articles in all languages except nominations 2-4 (a page on Meta will be created), 2. Articles in the Russian language, 3. Articles in languages of Russia (a page on Wikimedia Russia's site will be created), 4. Articles in the Lezgian language (a page on Lezgi WP will be created). We will form a list of articles to create, and together with colleagues who have experience in conducting contests, will evaluate the created articles.
- On 1 April, we plan to hold a Dagestan wiki seminar, as well as meet with the local scientific and cultural community in the ancient city of Derbent. Its organization is out of the scope of this grant, but we will adhere to the Risk assessment policy during COVID-19 (only residents of Russia are allowed; all participants must have vaccination certificates or fresh PCR test results; no more than 30 people should be attended at in-person events). On 2 April, we are planning to conduct a Wiki expedition to the districts of southern Dagestan (Akhtynsky District and Suleyman-Stalsky District) — places of traditional residence of Lezgins. There are many cultural heritage sites in both districts that do not have a photos on Wikimedia Commons.
- The second contest will be held locally on the Lezgi Wikipedia. Its theme is improving and expanding articles from the List of articles every Wikipedia should have. We will recognize this contest as successful only if the rating of Lezgi Wikipedia grows by at least 1 percent in a month. The competition will begin in early July, immediately after this table is updated. Approximate dates are 5 July — 5 August (until the new update of the table).
- Traditionally, in October the Wiki Loves Caucasus international contest is held. The language editions of the North Caucasus are constantly experiencing funding problems for prize winners. We want to provide in this grant at least prizes for the Lezgian part of this competition. Wikipedians of North Caucasus User Group acts as a co-organizer of this competition on the territory of the North Caucasus.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- We will report our achievements on our social media (RU-NC group on VK, Lezgi Wikipedia's group on VK and on Twitter).
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- In any case, we will continue to develop Lezgi Wikipedia and other editions of Wikipedia in the languages of the North Caucasus. The activities under this grant may attract additional public attention, and we will be glad if at least a few new participants appear on Lezgi Wikipedia. We will also be happy to share our experience with other communities — including media interviews, publication of articles in (scientific) journals, making booklets, as well as making online/offline lectures.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 20 participants from different Wikipedia editions
- Number of articles created: 100 articles in Lezgi Wikipedia and 200 articles in other Wikipedia editions
- Lezgi Wikipedia should grow by at least 1 percent in the List of Wikipedias by sample of articles
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 200 photos of cultural heritage
- Articles in the regional and federal media: at least 5
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have two users in the organization team — Oleg Abarnikov (Soul Train) and Murad Shikhakhmedov (Mugerganets). Murad lives in Derbent and organizes offline activities. The former administrator of Lezgi Wikipedia, User from Dag, will be the guide in his native Akhtynsky District. We are also helped by our colleagues from the wide Wiki Movement.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|№||Items||Quantity||Unit||Total amount RUB||in USD|
|“10 years of Lezgi Wikipedia” contest||Subtotal||80,000.00 ₽||1,048.00 $|
|1||Global nomination||3||prize winners + shipping||12,000.00 ₽+
|2||Russian Wikipedia||3||prize winners + shipping||12,000.00 ₽+
|3||WP editions on languages of Russia||3||prize winners + shipping||12,000.00 ₽+
|4||Lezgi Wikipedia||3||prize winners + shipping||12,000.00 ₽+
|Wiki expedition in southern Dagestan||Subtotal||115,000.00 ₽||1504.00 $|
|1||Snacks & beverage||15||Person/day||5,000.00 ₽||65.50 $|
|2||Rent a bus with driver||1||day||15,000.00 ₽||196.50 $|
|3||Travel grants for Russian residents||4-6||tickets||65,000.00 ₽||850.00 $|
|4||Twin rooms in hotels||3||three nights||30,000.00 ₽||392.00 $|
|“Expand 1000 most important articles” contest||Subtotal||29,000.00 ₽||379.30 $|
|1||Lezgi Wikipedia — single nomination||3||prize winners||29,000.00 ₽||379.30 $|
|Lezgian part of “Wiki Loves Caucasus 2022” contest||Subtotal||29,000.00 ₽||379.30 $|
|1||Lezgi Wikipedia part of contest||3||prize winners||29,000.00 ₽||379.30 $|
|Additional||Subtotal||15,000.00 ₽||196.50 $|
|1||T-shirts with the Lezgi Wikipedia logo||20||item||10,000.00 ₽||131.00 $|
|2||Booklets, souvenirs||20||item||5,000.00 ₽||65.50 $|
|3||Miscellaneous costs (5 % of total budget)||5||%||13,400.00 ₽||175,40 $|
|4||Income tax||13||%||36,582.00 ₽||490,40 $|
|Grand total||317,982.00 ₽||4,172.90 $|
- On 27 March 2012, Lezgi Wikipedia transferred to the main space from the Wikimedia Incubator.
- Cultural heritage of the Akhtynsky District in the Russian Wikivoyage
- Cultural heritage of the Suleyman-Stalsky District in the Russian Wikivoyage
- Depends on where participants are coming from and how much money it will take.
- For maximum of six persons.
- Bank transfers, administrative costs, participation in office comm. and coordination.
- According to the Tax Code of the Russian Federation.
- Support There is a remarkably great work going on in the Lezgi edition, quite uncommon for comparable languages of the region. Both Oleg and Murad are dedicated to Wikipedia activism, have successful offline projects behind, and are worth being supported. Amikeco (talk) 19:31, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support ― Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 14:25, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support ― З. ӘЙЛЕ
- Support-Ilnur efende (talk) 16:24, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support ― Takhirgeran Umar (talk) 14:49, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support ― JukoFF (talk) 17:16, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Kaganer (talk) 17:38, 2 February 2022 (UTC)