- Please see the sample General promotion campaign application before drafting your application.
- You can also read a recent general promotion campaign application, Promotion of Maithili Wikipedia and their related report.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- To increase public awareness of user group (in order to grow it), and events organized by it or done in partnership with it
- To train/orient, and grow the abilities of members of the public to be able to positively contribute content to Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and other Wikimedia projects
- Maintain existing relationships with community partners, and to create new ones
- To improve the skills of existing user group members
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is your promotion plan?
You can do a campaign involving billboards or rickshaw announcements to promote a Wikimedia projects, such as Santali Wikipedia, at different places in a city. You can promote an online campaign such as Wiki Loves Monuments on Facebook, Twitter, etc using ads. You can also create gifs/slideshows or other easy to make multimedia files and use them to promote your project on social media.
- At least once a month, if not more, set up a booth on or near the El Prado Complex. There members of the public can engage with user group members about Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and other Wikimedia projects. In addition we will have available to the public printed handouts about Wikipedia, as well as stickers and pins relating to Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and the user group itself. We will utilize existing user group equipment including a pop-up canopy, pop-up sign, and other equipment.
- Working with community partners, we will have an edit-a-thon at both Southwestern College, San Diego Central Library, and elsewhere. This will hopefully attract attendees of those organizations to become new content contributors. We will seek to build additional community partnerships in order to hold edit-a-thons at their facilities.
- We will pay for advertising on Facebook and Google to notify general members of the public of the edit-a-thons.
- Finally, we will hold a Wiknic.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The preliminary discussion of this grant has been done in relation to the need to withdraw the approved grant Grants:Project/Rapid/San Diego Wikimedians User Group/Salk Institute edit-a-thon. The grant proposal will then be shared using Facebook Messenger to user group members, shared on the user group's Facebook community, and possibly share the proposed grant with WALRUS
3.Do you have any experience in promoting Wikimedia projects either online or offline?
Were you involved in a similar project in the past? Do you have any other experience related to online/offline promotion?
- User group has been holding events within its geographic scope nearly monthly since 2016, so far totaling over 40.
4. What is your post-promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends?
- Continue to engage with new user group members, to sustain their continued positive content contribution. Continue to engage with community partners to hold future edit-a-thons at their facilities.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We will also be seeking in the grant funds to pay for maintenance of a Meetup.com group which the user group uses to promote the events which it hosts or are partnered with.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Reached over 1k individuals
- Have increased the number of positive content contributors to Wikipedia, and other Wikimedia projects, that reside within the geographic scope of the User Group
- Increase the quality of content of existing Wikipedia articles, increase the number of media files about subjects within the geographic scope of the User Group
- The User Group grows in the size of its active membership
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!