Grants:Project/Rapid/Sandeep Raut/Wikipedia Education Program in Biratnagar/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Here are the quick reminders to our goals that we set:
- Recruit new editors
- Increase awareness about Wikipedia and its sister projects, such as Wikimedia Commons
- Encourage students to join the movement
- Create awareness about Wikimedia and the benefits of using Wikimedia projects as a pedagogic tool (Wikimedia in Education) i.e. to learn and to teach
- Build a network with community members
Yes, we met our goals. This was the first Education Program in the city; Biratnagar, Nepal and has inspired many knowledge and research enthusiasts to utilize the world’s free online encyclopedia. We are very pleased to leverage the self-learning potential of students through Wikipedia.The knowledge sharing process was the most exciting thing for us and it was great to familiarize Wikipedia to students who had never heard of such an amazing knowledge platform before. We trained six students called as "ambassadors" whom we taught the basics of Wikipedia and they helped us to raise awareness through student-to-student model before and after the events. The participation of such a huge number of collegiate followed by their overwhelming responses have motivated us to carry such activities in the days to come as well. The articles created and improved, the pictures taken and the media coverage will create a prominent reference for hereafter events.
Merryland College Biratnagar
Eighty one students along with faculty from the college actively participated in the event. There were good interactions from the participants.
Nepal Business College, Biratnagar
Fifty four students along with faculty participated in the event. Students were really interested to know about free knowledge sharing space.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of events: 2||Number of events: 2||Target Achieved. We successfully conducted events in two different colleges of Biratnagar.|
|Number of people organising: 3||Number of people organising: 4||Target Achieved. We had three organizers in total (Sandeep Raut as coordinator of the event and Bijay Chaurasia, Ganesh Paudel and Srijana Timsina as resource persons) for the event along with six volunteers termed as "Ambassadors" during the event. The ambassadors for the event were: Maria Haque, Bibesh Nepal, Aaditya Yadav, Prince Agrawal, Rahul Agrawal and Ujjwal Sapkota|
|Number of articles improved: 15+||Number of articles improved: Around 19.||Target Achieved. Articles were created and improved on both Nepali and English Wiki along with these few photos were added to Commons. However, we could have increased this number to a greater extent.|
|Number of participants: 45+ (minimum 20-25 at each event)||Number of participants: 135 in total (81+54)||Target Achieved. Because of our regular follow-ups and dissemination of information about the program, we surpassed this target and had an amazing participants|
|Number of meetups: 2||Number of meetups: 2||Target Achieved. The meetup with community members along with Ambassadors helped to discuss about various Wikimedia projects and build a strong network. Further, it facilitated in managing the logistics of program in an organized way.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Media Coverage: The two prominent online medias of Biratnagar, Nepal featured the WEP event news on their website along with their Facebook page. This helped to get the news reach to mass.
- Certification: After the event, we provided to certificates to students and the happy and motivated face of students could be clearly seen. They felt recognized for their learning during the event.
- Quiz-Reward Program: We announced to students that we will be taking a quiz at the end of the session and the one who gives correct answers would be getting attractive prizes. Because of this, students paid keen attention during the entire session. It also helped to take quick assessment of students' learning.
- Speakers: Sandeep Raut on Basics of Wikipedia and Account Opening along with three other speakers who were acting as resource persons cum organizers: Bijay Chaurasia on Wikimedia Commons, Ganesh Paudel on Wikipedia in Education and Srijana Timsina on Gender Gap & Knowledge Gap
- What did not work so well?
- Time management, Reporting etc. otherwise everything went with the plan.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Focus retention of students
- Create students to students networking model
- Organize Wiki-Library Orientation Program
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Total Funds Approved=157,850 NPR
- Total Funds Received= 156,809.87 NPR
|S.N.||Category||Item description||Actual Expenses (in NPR)||Notes|
|1||Stationery||Notebooks, Pens, Papers, Sticky Notes, Color Pens and Clip||8,970|
|2||Gift Items||Badges, Gift Items||7,800|
|6||Meet up||Tea, Coffee, Juices and Snacks||5,362|
|7||Communication||Internet and Data Charges||5,000|
|9||Banners and Pamphlets||7,850|
|10||Food and Drinks||74,250|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- There are no remaining grant funds.
The event was covered in two Nepali language online medias:
- Wikipedia Education Program Completed for the first time in Biratnagar (Nepali, विराटनगरमा पहिलो पटक विकिपीडिया शिक्षा कार्यक्रम सम्पन्न) Hamro Pusta (Published: 19 July, 2019; Retrieved: 23 November, 2019)
- Wikipedia Education Program started in Merryland and Business College (Nepali: विराटनगरका कलेजहरुमा विकिपिडिया बारेको प्रशिक्षण शुरु, मेरिल्याण्ड र बिजनेशमा सम्पन्न।) Our Biratnagar (Published: 20 July, 2019; Retrieved: 23 November, 2019)
Anything else you want to share about your project?
I am really glad that I got the opportunity to work on this project.