Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors : Raise awareness about gender gap on Wikipedia and have at least 10 new editors trained on how to contribute on wikipedia, Wikidata and wikiquote.
- Increase skills for existing editors : Writing articles on Wikipedia and creating pages on Wikiquote
- Add or improve content : Add and improve wikipedia articles on Cameroonian women, participate in the #SheSaid Campaign with new entries on Wikiquote, upload pictures of some prominent Cameroonian politicians on Wiki Commons and also create and improve Wikidata entries about prominent Cameroonian Women.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Activities will include :
- 2 training sessions on Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata and Wikiquote (August and September)
- 1 edit-a-thon SheSaid Campaign(November/half day)
- 1 Photo shooting at a major gathering in Yaounde to take pictures of women parlematarian or Mayors (November 2021 / 1 or 2 days)
- 2 online follow-up sessions (September and October)
- The initiative is related to the Wiki Loves Women project. Wiki Loves Women contributes towards the UN’s SDG 5 Gender Equity: achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls. Within the 2030 Wikimedia Strategy, the Wiki Loves Women project works towards resolving several recommendations, and in particular Invest in Skills and Leadership Development.
- The Wiki Loves Women team recently created a Focus Group. Its membership is made of 12 women, the majority of which from Africa. I am one of its members.
- The main goal of the Focus Group is skills transfer and also to raise awareness of and action to counter the lack of representation of women generally, and more specifically on online platforms such as Wikipedia (or Wikiquote). There are many important and contentious issues within the Gender space, however the group is not aimed at unpacking those. Rather it is aimed at transferring vital skills towards women and men – digital, technical, researching, writing and leadership – that allow them to access information in order to make up their own minds within their cultural specificity. The group will operate through training, mentoring, online learning, peer-to-peer support..
- To plainly and practically experience the skills transfer, all members of the WLW Focus Group have agreed to participate to the #SheSaid drive, an initiative that celebrates women leaders and will take place in Fall-Winter 2021
- This grant request is meant to support participation in the #SheSaid drive in my local community.
- The #SheSaid drive is aimed at improving the visibility of women in creating new or improving already existing Wikiquote entries related to them. It aims at getting women’s voices heard.
- First launched in October 2020, the #SheSaid campaign on Wikiquote has been an amazing success! Across 7 languages, by the 5th January 2021, it resulted overall in 867 new or improved articles (the majority new). Italian Wikiquote was the clear language winner (405 articles) with Ukraine (187) and French (106) coming not so close behind. Given its first edition success and noting that there is still a lot to do, the #SheSaid drive will run again end of 2021.
- Please read the post on diff about #sheSaid (English) as well as this article in French for further background.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Yes, information about the project was shared on the following pages:
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group channels
- website: http://www.wikimedia.cm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wikimediansOfCameroonUserGroup
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/wikimediacm
- Mailing lists
- WhatsApp and telegram Groups
- Global drive communication channels include
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Each participant would provide their own laptops or tablets to the training sessions. We will provide for internet connection within the venue of the in-person training session and a internet stipend of the two online session. We will provide our participants with the and knwolegde skills they need to provide high quality content during our first training sessions, and new editors will be followed up online throughout the programme.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will create a Whatsapp / telegram Group named "Wiki Loves Women Cameroon 2021" through which we will engage each of the participants through out the 4-month programme. We will equally hold two online sessions in-between our three in-person sessions to follow up on their edits.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes we are running 3 in-person events. Here is a a link to the Risk assessment document
8. What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- Develop knowledge and skills as leader of a gender gap initiative in the wikimedia network
- Extend my network
- Recruit and train new editors in my community
- Retain the newly trained editors beyond this programme
9. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- In addition to helping us improve visibility of Cameroonian Women on Wikimedia project, the 4-month programme for the Wiki Loves Women 2021 project in Cameroon will also help us recruit new regular members and editors to revitalize the Wikimedia communtity in the city of Douala so that we could resume monthly meetups and edit-a thons in Douala, outside of projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 4 in-person and 2 online sessions
- Number of participants: 10-20
- Number of new editors: 10
- Number of of articles/items created or improved: 100-200
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I am an experienced Wikimedian and I will be mentored by Wiki Loves Women project leaders
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- T-shirts : $8 x 12: $96
- Roll up Banner : $100
- Communication outreach (Social media) : $50
- Venue: $75 x 3 = $225
- Food and drinks for 10 people at in-person training sessions: $70 x 3 = $210
- Hand sanitizer and face masks = $10 x 3 = $30
- Internet support for the trainer and participants for online sessions: $100 x 2= $200
- Photo Tour of women politicians in Yaoundé: (travel, snacks, hotel, camera rental): $287
- Prizes for the 3 best participants (Tablet, external hard drive, powerbank ): $200
- Certificates and gifts(notebooks, pencils, stickers etc.): x 15 = $100
- Contingency funds = $50
Total = 1,548 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support. I am happy to support this initiative :) Anthere (talk)
- Strong support Of course, I am very happy to support this initiative as it is an extension of Wiki Loves Women and the activities of this year's Focus Group. Looking forward to seeing all the outcomes of it. Islahaddow (talk) 09:26, 15 June 2021 (UTC)