Grants:Project/Rapid/Sherlock808/Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom Module translation and Campaign
- Please see the sample General promotion campaign application before drafting your application.
- You can also read a recent general promotion campaign application, Promotion of Maithili Wikipedia and their related report.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Promotion of the Central Bikol Wikipedia through distribution of translated Reading Wikipedia in the classroom modules. The modules contain instructional activities on creating accounts and editing articles. The landing site of the activities will be directed to Central Bikol Wikipedia.
- Promotion of Reading Wikipedia in the classroom to educational institutions through module distribution, awareness through installation of tarpaulins and handing out free brochures containing relevant information with regards Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is your promotion plan?
You can do a campaign involving billboards or rickshaw announcements to promote a Wikimedia projects, such as Santali Wikipedia, at different places in a city. You can promote an online campaign such as Wiki Loves Monuments on Facebook, Twitter, etc using ads. You can also create gifs/slideshows or other easy to make multimedia files and use them to promote your project on social media.
- After translation is done, the final output will be distributed to schools and libraries. Priority schools are those with teachers that have already experienced using Wikipedia during previous edit-a-thons. Mostly of them have took interest in Wikipedia but was not able to continue progressively due to lack of supplementary materials. Tarpaulins will also be installed on designated areas containing QR code that links to the Central Bikol Wikipedia. This will at least send prospected users to the page and increase page views and usage.
- I also plan to integrate significant topics during our planning stage for us to be guided with the best practices on how to increase readership in Wikipedia.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- This activity will be posted through Wikimedia project pages but for the benefit of those that are really new to Wikipedia, this will be announced through a local online newsletter.
3.Do you have any experience in promoting Wikimedia projects either online or offline?
Were you involved in a similar project in the past? Do you have any other experience related to online/offline promotion?
- Yes, I was always involved on public relations for the projects granted by the WMF here in our place. I have assisted my co-wikimedians on their projects by inviting prospect editors and linking the project to significant partners and stakeholders. I also handled the social media pages of these projects and been pro-avtively engaging to queries on the pages.
4. What is your post-promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends?
- I plan to do the final evaluation by the end of the project and produce the statistics through generating the page views of the Central Bikol Wikipedia, the User creation logs, the articles edited by these new users, and provide follow-ups to those new editors that I was able to invite through the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom modules. The final output will also be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons, so as to inspire other languages to also provide their translated version of the module.
5. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- There will only be 5 editors at most to gather during the translation and printing of translated modules.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- I have known the impact of the pilot project of Reading Wikipedia in the classroom here in the Philippines, with a large number of teachers using the Wikipedia in their conduct of lessons. However, the news was not able to reach in our local area and I would want to grab this opportunity to raise awareness with regards the effectiveness of using Wikipedia. An additional benefit would be increasing the number of users and visitors on our local Wikipedia. This is also in preparation for the second round of the Reading Wikipedia in the classroom project by which at that time, the teachers here will at least be made aware of the basics of Wikipedia. This is also to support brand awareness of the Wikipedia project since it is commonly stereotyped here as unreliable source due to its editable nature when in fact, teachers could play a big role in developing and protecting articles essential in their lessons. Lastly, this is also to promote readership of the Central Bikol Wikipedia, since it has already long existed but it is used minimally and only a low-percentage of users are actually editing.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
|Number of people/institution reached||Number of campaign participants||Increase in pageviews for a Wikimedia project|
|Approximately 15 schools (private and public) within Naga City Area x 20 estimated Faculty members = 300 classrooms reached / 5 libraries||4 volunteer Wikimedians, 1 translator/proofreader, 1 graphic artist||The monthly average views is 466, 710 and we project to double it through this campaign|
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|1||Graphic designer||PHP 10,500.00||The translated module will be patterned to the ones available in Wikimedia commons.|
|2||Translation of project materials||PHP 12,000.00||Although the volunteers will work on the translation, it is needed to be according to the approved Mother Tongue- Based Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE) guide which is used on the learning materials of school teachers.|
|3||Temporary working space||PHP 18,000.00||A temporary working space is much practical during the creation and reproduction of translated materials since it is free from distractions and it may be difficult to locate a restaurant or coffee shop to accommodate this type of activity. This will also be the meeting place for planning and securing of the rented equipment.|
|4||Local travel||PHP 5,000.00||This is for the actual distribution of modules in different parts of the city.|
|5||Offline (hard-copy) publishing||PHP 25,000.00||Copies will be printed to a proper publishing house to be of used by the schools and libraries. This is to secure that the copy is of good condition even it's borrowed multiple times by interested readers.|
|6||Data Connection||PHP 5,000.00||This is for checking the site views, the user log-ins, and answering queries online.|
|7||Tarpaulins and T-shirts||PHP 6,500.00||Tarpaulins will be posted to chosen schools and t-shirts will served as uniforms by the organizers and distributors.|
|8||Contingency expense||PHP 5,000.00||For unexpected needs|
|Total: PHP 87,000.00||Total: USD 1,817.16|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong supportA devoted Wikimedian, pushing through his previous project despite the adversaries encountered. I see that this will again gain a fruitful result.Kunokuno (talk) 16:22, 24 May 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This user was able to gather more or less 70 teachers to participate to the pre-program survey of the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom Project in the Philippines. This was conducted to ensure that the project Team will be able to give the teachers what they want and what they need. This project will be another avenue to assess and improve the tool for teachers in Bicol. ---Imelda