Grants:Project/Rapid/Soni/MediaWiki Hackathon BPHC
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new technical contributors
- Fix some bugs (Mediawiki) or Build a script (pywikibot) during the hackathon
- Improve the awareness for GSOC and other programs
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are conducting a two-day hackathon on Mediawiki and Pywikibot in BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus, a technical institute in Hyderabad, India.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
The event page is created at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_BPHC We have also mailed the local community at the wikimediaindia-l and the wikimedia-in-hyd mailing lists.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
Three facilitators with experience in the field have been invited to host the Hackathon. They are listed below under the heading 'Resources'.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Since the hackathon aims to introduce participants to open source, a majority of the participants will be beginners. In order to make sure that they meet the pre-requisites for this hackathon, both in terms of the environment need on their machines and the skills to make quality edits, there will be a screening process to check the pre-requisite levels for all the participants. The pertinent bodies on campus will be conducting introductory sessions a week prior to the hackathon.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
Participants are expected to take as learning the knowledge of what open source is, how to contribute to it, and maintaining quality and documentation. While most of open source contribution is strictly voluntary-based, there are other initiatives planned on campus (after the hackathon) to ensure minimal continued contribution in Mediawiki and the technical front. GSOC and Outreachy will also serve as incentives for the participants to continue contributing.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
All the details relevant to this Hackathon can be found at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_BPHC The campus has a number of potential editor and technical contributors. Earlier, I had conducted a brief session on Editing Wikipedia here. Information about it can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Workshop/BPHC_Workshop_1
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 1
- Number of participants - 20-30
- Number of new editors - 20-30
- Number of of articles created or improved - N/A (This is a hackathon so the expectation is for some outcome in the form of bugs fixed or new scripts written for the Mediawiki and Pywikibot hackathon respectively. These will be best judged in terms of their utility than quantity)
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - N/A
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- This Hackathon is being handled by the Computer Science Association (CSA) of BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus. The relevant office bearers of the association have been taking care of all logistics, while I have been involved in coordinating the relevant details with the relevant parties. Any trivial costs with respect to logisitics will be handled by CSA.
- On the Mediawiki front, we have three facilitators who will be flying over from across the country to conduct the hackathon. They have experience in the relevant Technical fronts and have conducted other hackathons before.
- Since the event is low on time, we have already booked tickets for all the facilitators from our own pockets. If funded, the Grant money will be use for reimbursement of these costs.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Funds for air travel of the facilitators (These costs are approximate and given in INR) -
- Funds for cab transportation for the facilitators (From BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus to Airport and back) -
- (Approx) 5 trips * Rs 1300 (for one way trip) = Rs 6500
- Total amount = Rs 35000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!