Grants:Project/Rapid/Spanish and Portuguese edit-a-thon
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. Our main goal is to promote the knowledge about important Latin American women and their contributions to the world and make sure they gain more visibility in the Anglophone literature, scholarship, and academic environment. The main way to achieve this is to mobilize the community at the Ohio State University to translate wikipedia articles from Spanish and Portuguese into English. By doing so, there is also empowerment to the participants who will take an active role in producing and spreading this knowledge through Wikipedia. By becoming active producers of content, participants will be motivated to continue in this effort in their lives beyond this edit-a-thon. Furthermore, this also raises awareness about literacy and the creation of content in the Internet era, as well as the role that Wikipedia and internet play in education.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings? One editathon.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
The faculty and graduate students of the Spanish and Portuguese department at the Ohio State University are engaging with the undergraduates directly in the classrooms to promote the event. The organizers will visit language classrooms as well. In addition:
- We will post flyers around campus.
- Listed on official Ohio State department website (event page)
- Facebook event page + invites
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of new editors: 10
- Number of of articles created or improved: 20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): N/A
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We have a computer lab in Hagerty Hall with around 20 computers available. Some participants may bring their own laptops. The faculty and graduate students from the Spanish and Portuguese department at Ohio State are helping spread the news about the edit-a-thon.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- $100 Pizza
- $50 Refreshments
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!