Grants:Project/Rapid/Suyash Dwivedi/11th World Hindi Conference 2018
Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
- Date of event: 18-20 August 2018 in Pailles, Mauritius.
- Link of the Event: https://www.vishwahindisammelan.gov.in/
- Number of participants: 2 , U:Suyash.dwivedi (Suyash Dwivedi) and U:आशीष_भटनागर (Ashish Bhatnagar)
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. We plan, to participate in this upcoming World Hindi Conference to represent Hindi Wikipedia, as It gives an important opportunity for us to promote Hindi Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in Hindi like, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikiversity etc. among large numbers of individuals and groups with similar interests from India, Mauritius and around the world. It also gives us an opportunity to interact with them in prospects for possible co-operative collaborations/agreements. Also, since this conference is about to be held in Mauritius, it also gives us a unique opportunity to popularise Hindi Wikipedia in Mauritius and search for possible collaborations with organizations working for Hindi language, within Mauritius. Prime Ministers of India and Mauritius are likely to attend this event (Past event https://www.vishwahindisammelan.gov.in/Archive-10th-World-Hindi-Conference.htm ).
- To increase readership of Wikipedia
- Expand network of potential partners
- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects
- Creating awareness to International society, about Hindi Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in Hindi like Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikiversity etc. for the Hindi language.
- Presentation about How Wikipedia works, its online and offline activities.
- To increase readership we are planning to show Hindi Wikipedia awareness video Produced in collaboration with the Hindi Wikimedians User Group, Happy mcgarrybowen, and the Wikimedia Foundation. (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_-_Ektara.webm )
- To increase offline readership, how Wikipedia helping society with technology like IIAB (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Internet-in-a-Box )
- Will also try to be a part various parallel sessions.
- We will also try to do a small hands-on workshop on Hindi Wikipedia.
- To find opportunities for possible collaborations with individuals / groups/ Societies .etc.
Hindi Wikipedia community has decided to send U:आशीष_भटनागर (Ashish Bhatnagar) and U:Suyash.dwivedi (Suyash Dwivedi) to represent. (https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/विकिपीडिया:चौपाल#विश्व_हिन्दी_सम्मलेन_२०१८_में_हिन्दी_विकिपीडिया_की_प्रतिभागिता )
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- With a population of 310 million native speakers and an additional 258 million second language speakers in India alone, Hindi is the 4th most spoken language in the world, but the user base and quantity of content present in Hindi is extremely low when compared to other language projects. As compared to languages like French and German, the number of users and number of articles in Hindi is almost 10 times less, even though when the population of Hindi speakers around the world is almost double the population of French and German speakers combined. Hindi even has a lower user base and content than languages like Indonesian, Persian, Greek and Swedish, whose native population is just a fraction of Hindi speakers, despite the fact that the number of people accessing the internet in Hindi is comparable to English and is projected to overtake English by the year 2021 according to a report by Google-KPMG. Also, apart from this, although a majority of Hindi speakers are concentrated in North India, yet, a large chunk of Hindi speakers live in countries like Fiji, Mauritius, Suriname, South Africa, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, the Gulf countries like UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia and also in countries like USA, the UK, and Canada, but we don't see any active users from these countries. The extreme lack of content is primarily due to the fact that the awareness about Wikipedia among Hindi speakers and among Indian Internet users at large is extremely low, as found out in a survey conducted last year. Also, primarily because there have been no language-specific efforts made to popularise Hindi Wikipedia in other Hindi speaking countries, hence we don't have a substantial user-base from these countries.
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- Yes we got a Free stall (3X3 meters) in the exhibition area where we can display and discuss.
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- A small hands-on workshop on Hindi Wikipedia.
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- We will take advantage of having a stall at the exhibition area.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- Yes we are looking forward to the possibilities during one to one discussions.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- Mailing list, regular telephonic conversations /Hangout, and by keeping there aware about what's going on in Wikipedia like competitions like Wiki Loves Monuments, Wikipedia Asian Month ect.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of event attendees:1500 (https://indiahighcom-mauritius.org/pages.php?id=582)
- Number of new potential partners: 1-2
- Number of outreach activity participants:1-2
- Number of new editors:10-20
- Number of articles created or improved:10-15
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- Exemption for paying Registration Fee for two participants (2X5000INR=10,000INR ~146USD)
- Exemption for paying any charges for stall (3X3 meters) in exhibition area.
- High commission of India in Port Louis will support for custom clearance and other administrative procedures.
- Local travel support for Airport, Hotel to Exhibition place from 18-20 August 2018.
- Free food during conference dates 18-20 August 2018 for two participants.
- Special Rates for Hotel Booking (https://www.vishwahindisammelan.gov.in/accomodation.htm )
- Special 20% discount on air travel for registered representatives. (https://vishwahindisammelan.gov.in/writereaddata/images/Special-Discount-on-Arifare-and-accomodation.pdf )
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost in INR||Total cost in USD (approximate)||Notes|
|1||International Travel||Two way travel from Delhi/Mumbai to Port Louis for 2 participants.||2||₹47,000||₹94,000 - 20% (*Discount as offered ) ~ ₹ 75,200||1,098 USD||estimates based on rates obtained from the Internet might vary depending upon flight cost at the time of booking|
|2||Domestic Travel||Cost of travel from individual Cities to International Airport for 2 participants.||2||₹8000+10,000||₹18,000||263 USD||Cost of travel from individual Cities to International Airport for 2 participants.|
|3||Accommodation||Double bed sharing rooms for six nights||6||₹8,000/room×6 nights||₹48,000||701 USD||Close estimate, based on rates obtained from the Internet|
|4||Communication and local transportation costs||₹20,000||292 USD||Includes Internet & telecommunication expenses and other transportation costs.|
|5||Food||For 2 participants||8||₹1125||₹9,000||131 USD||Food for other than conference days|
|6||Swag and advertising material for the conference.||₹25,000||365 USD||T-shirt and advertising material, like 1000 Nos pamphlet,Flex Banner,TV/Projector Rental.|
|7||Contingency Fund||1||₹20,000||292 USD||Contingency Fund|
|Total||₹ 2,15200||3,142 USD|
- I request Wikimedia foundation to help us with bookings Air tickets and Hotel booking done.
- Request to process the grant on top priority taking care of short time.
Swag request (WHC 2018 expecting 1500 Registered participants these swag will help in Wikipedia Publicity in International dignitaries) S.No Item(s) Quantity 1 Globe hoodie (men) for 2 resource persons 2 (2XL size) 2 Globe stickers (50 pack) 10 sets (total 500 pack) 3 Wikipedia globe buttons (50 pack) 10 sets (total 500 pack) 4 Wikimedia Project stickers (14 pack) 5 sets 5 Wikipedia pens (5 pack) 6 sets (total 30 pens) 6 Wikimedia project lapel pins (Wikipedia W, Wikipedia Globe,) 20 each for Special Guests/officials 7 Wikimedia Special Edition White Globe Pins 20 Nos Ministers/Special Guests
is grant submission is approved: -->
- Support This Conference is Most IMP for Hindi Wikipedia.--आर्यावर्त (talk) 02:42, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- SupportHindi has so many native speakers. But we have less contributors in hi.wiki. These kinds of events can be spread hi.wiki to common people. There so many organization also will come. Those can help us on region level. We should support this opportunistic event. NehalDaveND (talk) 02:36, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- ArmouredCyborg (talk) 02:46, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support Big opportunity for Hindi wiki in front of world.Godric ki Kothri (talk) 03:08, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support Hindi wikipedia should participate in this grand meet.its a great opportunity to enhance the reach of hindi wiki.Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 03:25, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- Strong Support This Hindi Conference is very important for Hindi Indic Wikipedia community. --J. Ansari Talk 03:53, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- Strong Support This is one of us dream project to participates in this conference.-Jayprakash >>> Talk 10:37, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
- Strong Support This is an important step for Hindi Wikipedia, a chance to enroll volunteers from people who are passionate about Hindi. I wish both Suyash.dwivedi and आशीष_भटनागर my best and hope it this venture is a huge success. -- Shypoetess (talk) 04:40, 19 July 2018 (UTC)
- Strong Support सहर्षतापूर्ण समर्थन इस अनुरोध के साथ कि कृपया इन हिन्दी विकिपीडिया सम्पादन प्रशिक्षण वीडियोज़ की कड़ी http://bitly.com/hiwiki को प्रयोग में लाएँ। यदि संभव हो तो इसी प्रारूप में प्रचार पर्ची वहाँ उपस्थित लोगों में बाँटें। --Muzammil (talk) 07:04, 19 July 2018 (UTC)