Grants:Project/Rapid/Swapnil Karambelkar/Hindi Wikimedians Technical Meet April 2018 at Bhopal
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Swapnil Karambelkar/Hindi Wikimedians Technical Meet April 2018 at Bhopal
In the month of June 2018, a 2 Day training meet cum workshop is being organized in Bhopal, wherein Administrators, Rollbackers, Reviewers, File Movers and autopatrolled members will share and learn Technical information about the maintenance and management of Wikipedia.(Proposed date 16-17 June 2018)
targetHindi Wikipedia,Hindi Wikiversity,Hindi Wikibooks
start date10 June
end date20 September
budget (local currency)129,000
contact(s)• Swapnil.email@example.com• Suyash.firstname.lastname@example.org
Basic objective of this workshop is to groom active members towards maintenance aspect and is next step of very successful jaipur technical meet 2017. So, broadly we can divide our objective into following goals:
- To conduct a refresher session about Policy Rules for Future Maintainers and sysops as well as active members ,and review the training imparted in Jaipur workshop.
- To conduct a training session to impart skills for Maintenance and Management of Wikipedia to existing members who have been limited primarily to editing only.Those who have attended the Jaipur workshop will be further groomed and new attendees will be briefed about the technical aspects covered in Jaipur technical meet and new training/topics to be covered in Bhopal technical meet.
- To impart and enhance technical training (RTRC, Twinkle and other tools) & mutual knowledge sharing to enhance skills of existing Maintainers (reviewer, rollbacker, manager, administrator etc.)
- Socialize with community members and equip editor members technically to be promoted to Reviewers, Rollbackers and Sysop.
- Training session on Media wiki and automated tools about AutoWikiBrowser and PyWikiBot is also planned.
- Bhopal is a historical city. A photowalk will also be arranged on the sidelines of this workshop. Participants will be trained on how to add/utilize photographs in their articles.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- Hindi Wikipedia community is still in its nascent stage with few contributors,Jaipur technical meet proved to be a very successful event and it was decided by the community to have atleast 4 such technical meets per year.Hindi Wikipedia is far behind in the number of Administrators, Rollbackers, Reviewers, File Movers compared to others. While registered members of Hindi Wikipedia has crossed a figure of 300000, the sysop,reviewer/rollbackers density is very low (though it has increased after jaipur technical meet) . Basic objective of this workshop is to attract more and more members towards maintenance aspect. One of the major reason is lack of knowledge among the contributors, most of whom remain limited to editing only. So, on the initiative by Maintainers (Administrators, Rollbackers, Reviewers, File Movers etc.) a meet is being organized to share basic and technical information about the Maintenance and Management aspects of Wikipedia with the fellow contributors.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- In Hindi Wikipedia conference Jan 2017 at Bhopal , a brief overview was given by admins on how to write articles, which guided new and existing members and among them, few became Admin, Reviewers and Autopatrolled in the due course.Then in Nov 2017 Jaipur technical meet was organised which resulted in great success .Still ,in contrast to the number of active contributors, Hindi Wikipedia has No Bureaucrat, only 9 Administrator,15 Reviewers,7 Rollbackers,2 File Movers,49 Autopatrolled member (though this figure increased after jaipur technical meet) and they all are keen to learn technicalities and enhance their skills in managing/working of wikipedia and help others,so as to increase the quality of article and lessen the burden on existing maintainers.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- The discussion was carried on Official whatsapp group,Hangout Group and Village Pump. Eventually, a detailed page for discussion and planning has been created on Hindi Wikipedia, here.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- There is an existing WhatsApp and hangout group of the participants and regular hangout sessions are taken off, Most of the participants are already in touch with each other hence post meeting engagement will be smooth. Moreover all the members will be timely informed on Village Pump. After conclusion of workshop, We shall try to nominate few members to an appropriate "Maintainer" status for 3 months initially, which can be made permanent after community review.
- A photo walk would be arranged for participants and training will be given on how to shoot photographs as per wikipedia norms and how to use them in wikipedia.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- In case of experienced editors, if we get 3+ members raised to next level (editor to reviewer/rollbacker, reviewer/rollbacker to sysop), we shall consider our workshop as success. The target may seem quite moderate, but this is second such effort by Hindi community and we have a lot to learn yet.
- In case of new members, it is our expectation that almost all attendees of this workshop should rise to the level of Autopatrolled members,who with proper traing can contribute as reviewer/rollbacker of Hindi wikipedia in near future.
- As an impact of photowalk planned in and near Bhopal,we expect atleast 1 article to be selected as featured article amongst the places we are planning to visit.
- Stay,Food & beverage (for 3 Nights) = Rs. 75000.00
- Bus/train tickets to reimburse participants for travel to/from meeting =Rs. 40000.00
- Photowalk =Rs 8000.00
- Contingency funds =Rs 6000.00
- Total: Rs 129000.00
Swag request S.No Item(s) Quantity 1 Globe stickers (50 pack) 2 sets 2 Wikimedia Project stickers (14 pack) 5 sets 3 Wikipedia notebooks 15 4 Wikipedia pens (5 pack) 3 sets 5 T-shirts for resource persons and Senior participents 5
- Support --J. Ansari Talk 08:07, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- Workshop is good for user's skill development.--आर्यावर्त (talk) 08:25, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- Good for skill development User:Trikutdas (talk) 08:51, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- These kinds of workshops are needed. NehalDaveND (talk) 08:51, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support- Jayprakash >>> Talk 16:56, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support - ArmouredCyborg (talk) 08:08, 22 March 2018 (UTC)
- As proposer and coordinator I strongly support such activities and technical workshops,it helps seasoned and new wikimedians to evolve and strengthen the community.Experiances from previous workshop at Jaipur has helped a lot to the community and set a trend,which will continue:Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 08:58, 22 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support Jaipur Technical Meet was a great success, and I am happy to see more such sessions. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 08:14, 25 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support It will be good for community users as previous workshop was successful at Jaipur.☆★Sanjeev Kumar (talk) 04:18, 27 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support As coordinator ,I strongly Support this workshop, such workshop are very nesessory for the community.Preiviuos Jaipur workshop was a big sucess and community was benifitted a lot -- Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 06:17, 27 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support Good initiative for Hindi Wiki community. Godric ki Kothri (talk) 13:20, 27 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support Excellent initiative. Such workshops are a boost to Hindi wikipedia's progress and should be planned at regular intervals to maintain the pace of the projects. Ashish Bhatnagartalk 01:33, 28 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support --KHALID KHAN (talk) 12:20, 18 May 2018 (UTC)