Grants:Project/Rapid/TRahman/Article contest and Wiki loves earth 2017
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content on Wikipedia
- Add photographs on Wikimedia Commons
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? The initiative consists two segments: An article writing contest in Bengali Wikipedia and Wiki loves earth 2017 in Bangladesh. The article contest is going on right now. All participants have created articles from a specific list and they submitted them by March 31st. We are now evaluating those articles. The main focus of the article contest is not only to add quality articles in Bengali, as you can see in the list all the articles are important from encyclopedic perspective. So we are also filling the gap of important topics on Bengali Wikipedia. The main focus of Wiki Loves Earth is to increase the number of freely licensed quality photographs of the protected natural reserves/sites in Bangladesh. There is 50+ Government listed protected sites in Bangladesh and most of them have no freely licensed photographs. So the two segments (Article Contest and Wiki Loves Earth) have specific numerical success targets in terms of quantity and quality improvement.
2. How will you let people know about the contest? Besides Wikipedia/Wikimedia mailing lists, onwiki notices, we'll promote the contests through social media, will send the press release to the media especially online newspapers and for photo contest we'll hold in-person meetings with different photography clubs in Bangladesh.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? For WLE, We will form a jury consisting noted photographers, photojournalists and veteran Wikimedians. The jury will judge individual entries and award them based on the criteria set on this page. For article contest, the rule is simple one should translate the English article completely into Bengali. Veteran Bengali Wikipedians are judging the articles by following the rules set on this page.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects? Our volunteers will add the image from WLE into a specific article. We've established a working group specifically for this.
- Article contest
- Bengali Wikipedia good article contest (news in Wikimedia blog)
- Article contest to improve contents on archaeological sites of Bangladesh (resulted in adding 178 new articles about the archaeological sites of Bangladesh.)
- Photo contest
- Bangla Wikipedia Photography Contest 2014, More than 4,700 photos were uploaded as a part of the contest and the contest got substantial media coverage.
- Wiki loves monuments Bangladesh 2016, More than 7000 photos were uploaded as a part of the contest and the contest got substantial media coverage. (blog-1, blog about Winners)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 2000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 20%
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 917
- Number of articles created or improved: 480
- Nahid Sultan
- Moheen Reeyad
- Ali Haidar Khan
- Mayeenul Islam
- Shabab Mustafa
- Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive)
- Masum Al Hasan
- Nahid Hossain
- Afifa Afrin
- Rifat Jamil Eusufzai
- R K Hannan (Sufe)
- ANKAN GHOSH DASTIDER
- শাহাদাত সায়েম
- Ibrahim Husain Meraj
- Ahm masum
- Sharif Uddin
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (BDT)||Total (BDT)||Notes|
(Subtotal :148400 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $1842.33 (1 US dollar = 80.55 Taka))
|1||crest for winners (WLE)||10||2500||25000|
|2||Prize-money for best three photographs (WLE)||3||10000+8000+6000||24000|
|3||Highly Commendable Awards (WLE)||7||2000||14000|
|4||Award for the judges||5||2000||10000||The jury will consist of Five members including Wikimedians and outsiders. All of the members selected will have to be experienced in photography.|
|5||T-shirts||50||300||15000||For article contest & WLE winners+judges+volunteers|
|6||USB Flash drive||7||800||5600||For article contest winners|
|7||Pens||20||70||1400||Decorated pens for winners and judges|
|8||Wikipedia Wristband||70||40||2800||For article contest winners|
|9||Wikipedia badge||40||40||1600||For article contest winners|
|10||Certificate||60||100||6000||For article contest and WLE winners|
|11||Best prize for article contest||1400||Internet modem - the person who created most articles|
|12||Shipping cost of article contest prize||62||36600||Local & international|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support — This competition has increased the quality photos of conservation areas and qualitative articles on various topics. At the same time new participants have also been encouraged. This initiative is really praiseworthy. — ANKAN GHOSH DASTIDER (talk) 16:50, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Article contest and WLE Bangladesh are two successful events organized by Wikimedia Bangladesh. Article contest enriches the article quality of Bangla Wikipedia and from WLE we got lots of useful photos, which can be used in the related articles. - Masum-al-Hasan (talk) 03:22, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- This is the first time Wiki Loves Earth & article contest events organized by Wikimedia Bangladesh. It's really one of the successful events. Through this contest not only add quality photo also article contest enriches the article quality of Bangla Wikipedia. -Hasive • talk • 09:15, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support - This is the first time to arrange this kind of contest by Wikimedia Bangladesh. One of the successful events indeed!! Mohammed Galib Hasan (talk) 16:20, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support - I support this grant. This is beginning of a new era for Wikimedia Bangladesh. Sufe (talk) 19:15, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support — The article contest is about writing essential articles in Bangla wiki, hundreds of new articles are written. WLE is happening for first time in Bangladesh. Its a new start. This grant will help those events. -Ibrahim Husain Meraj (talk) 06:18, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support —Afifa Afrin (talk) 06:36, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support I put my strong support on this project. S Shamima Nasrin (talk) 11:15, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support ~ Moheen (keep talking) 11:24, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support, Bangladesh team was strong in organising Wiki Loves Earth this year and achieved good results. These activities are very beneficial in terms of content and in terms of community development — NickK (talk) 12:42, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Kritzolina (talk) 19:12, 2 June 2017 (UTC)