Grants:Project/Rapid/Tochi Precious/Wikipedia Nigerian Women in Politics Edit-a-thon/Report
The project goals where sufficiently met.
The project goals was met to a larger extent as it helped add more people to the community of the Igbo Wikimedians User Group which was recently launched, created more awareness for the Igbo Wikimedia Projects and also opened up partnership opportunities.
Please report on your original project targets.
We had a series of 5 editathons over 5 months focused on adding more content into the Igbo Language Wikipedia platform and increasing the number of Nigerian Women in Politics by translations into Igbo language.
- Event One: Grants:Project/Rapid/Tochi Precious/Wikipedia Nigerian Women in Politics Edit-a-thon/Meet-up/30th of June 2018
- Event Two: Grants:Project/Rapid/Tochi Precious/Wikipedia Nigerian Women in Politics Edit-a-thon/Meet-up/July 2018
- Event Three: Grants:Project/Rapid/Tochi Precious/Wikipedia Nigerian Women in Politics Edit-a-thon/Meet-up/August 2018
- Event Four: Grants:Project/Rapid/Tochi Precious/Wikipedia Nigerian Women in Politics Edit-a-thon/Meet-up/September 2018
- Event Five: Grants:Project/Rapid/Tochi Precious/Wikipedia Nigerian Women in Politics Edit-a-thon/Meet-up/October 2018
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of Events (5)||Number of Events (5)|
|Number of Participants (10)||Number of Participants (10+)||The targeted number of participants was estimated at 10 per event. We had an average of 10 and more per event except for a rainy day where we had 9.|
|Number of new editors (15)||Number of new editors (29)||We exceeded the number of new editors targeted for the edit-a-thon.|
|Number of of articles created or improved (50)||Number of of articles created or improved (70+)||We exceeded the number of targeted articles.|
|Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 15||Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 11||We have an estimated number of 10 repeat participants in the course of the series of the edit-a-thon. We assume this is because the individuals have different commitment levels.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The social media campaign to source editors was very successful
- Event targets largely reached
- The project helped add new Community members to the Igbo Wikimedians User Group
- What did not work so well?
- The Meet up for the Month of October was held in November due to other engagements such as the Igbo Wikimedians User Group Launch and the Igbo Wikimedians User Group Stakeholders Engagements.
- Communication prior to the event was vague and resulted in men assuming that it was a women only event.
- What would you do differently next time?
- I would focus on Contents relating to Igbo Culture and Heritage as most people felt this was a women only event.
Grant funds spent
- Food and drink = $210 x 5 Events = $1050
- Space Rental = $125 x 5 Events = $625
- Internet for Editors = $20 x 5 Events = $100
- Tshirts for Participants = $12.5 x 2 = $25
I am glad at the immense possibilities that the project has unveiled and will unveil with the addition of more people to the Igbo Wikimedians User Group Community and prospective partnerships.