Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors among Malaysians
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve indigenous language lemmas in Wiktionary
- Introduce local community to available resources from WMF
- Create awareness on the important of indigenous languages among Wikimedia project volunteers in Malaysia and the local community
- Introducing Wikimedia projects as a medium to document their languages and cultures among indigenous people of Malaysia
- Recruit many indigenous speakers of Malaysia to contribute to Wikimedia projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Just like last year's first edition, the contest will focus on adding more lemmas into Malay Wiktionary for the abundance of indigenous languages found in Malaysia. However due to how wide Malaysia is, there will be a subcontest for each of the three regions in Malaysia, ie. Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak. This was inspired from Wikipedia Asia Month which has a subcontest too for a narrower focus. The subcontest would be for Semai language of Orang Asli in Peninsular Malaysia where school students will be adding usage examples into existing lemmas. For Kadazandusun of Sabah and Iban of Sarawak, the subcontest would be also adding usage examples of each lemma. This is important as the indigenous languages are in threat to extinction and it is hard to find information on indigenous words that can be access freely online. With this, this could help indigenous youth to learn their language. This will provide a more complete free online dictionary for the students for the indigenous language subject in school.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
A brief info about this contest's proposal been submitted at the Wiktionary's talk page. Furthermore, external social medias of Wikimedia projects under WCUGM will be utilised for the promotion of this contest.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- This competition will be announced through social media of Malay Wikipedia and Wikimedia Community User Group Malaysia and on-wiki pages in Malay Wiktionary. Boosting the posts would make it reachable to others. The partners we are collaborating with will help to share the contest as well. We are trying to collaborate with UNESCO, SIL Malaysia, BorIIS UMS, Ministry of Education, Sabah Cultural Board, etc.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- It will be done through the tool Fountain where each lemma will be given mark if there is at least the name of the language and the definition of the word. Same goes to the Semai subcontest where a Semai school teacher will be assessing it based on the grammar and amount of it. For the Sabah and Sarawak audio recording subcontests, judges from each partner will be assessing it based on the pronunciation and the word.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Not applicable
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- This event is fully online and therefore, no risk assessment protocols are needed.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We are hoping that there will be more languages covered in this edition. This will be a good preparation for next year's UN International Decade of Indigenous Language. We want to execute this year's edition better than last year for better outreach and coverage. We are hoping to collaborate with more organisations so that more indigenous languages will be added this year.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For main contest:
- Number of participants: 15
- Number of articles created or improved: 1500
- Number of indigenous languages: 10
- Number of participants: 15
- Number of sentences added: 75
- Number of indigenous languages: 3
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources
- Members of UG MYS
- Individual Wikimedians
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 4.12 MYR as of 4 June 2021 https://www.oanda.com
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Total (MYR)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Prizes||10||MYR 1650||USD 400.48||1st prize: MYR500 gift card, 2nd prize: MYR300 gift card, 3rd prize: MYR100 gift card, 4th - 10th prize: MYR50 gift card. Semai, Kadazandusun, Iban subcontests: MYR100 gift card (1st prize), MYR50 gift card (2nd-3rd prize) for each subcontest.|
|2||Fees, delivery, etc||15||MYR 50||USD 12.14||Postage fee and payments to the shipping agents for deliveries (appreciation).|
|3||Appreciation for judges and partners involved||6||MYR 600||USD 145.63||Plaque of appreciations will be given to NGOs that joined as jury of this contest (MYR 100 value plaque each).|
|4||Social media promotions||N/A||MYR 412.01||USD 100||The fund will be use to pay ads in social media such as Instagram and Facebook|
|5||Zoom Pro subscription||N/A||MYR 61.69||USD 14.99||For online launch event and workshop to teach basic editing|
|Total: MYR 2773.70 (USD 673.24)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!