Grants:Project/Rapid/Toresetre/Concert photography 2017
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
I am an active Wikipedian that have contributed to Commons and the Norwegian projects for several years. Since I've started contributing I've donated 2.000 photographs to Commons, of which 1.700 photographs are portraits of bands and musicians.
The last few years my main area for contributions have been quality portraits of notable people and artists for Commons. I have covered events, festivals and concerts in Oslo through cooperation with institutions, venues, festivals, artists and artist management. Many of the artists are of international interest and the project has reach outside the Norwegian wikiprojects. This was also a subject of a GLAM Newsletter and a 2016 Wikimedia Grant.
I intend to photograph concerts at Stavernfestivalen and Kongsberg Jazzfestival. The two festivals are in the Buskerud/Vestfold-region of Norway through 5 to 8 July and present Scandinavian artists, with some international artists as well.
The goal of the project is to:
- add high-quality content to Commons
- reduce the gender gap by prioritizing concerts at the festivals with female artists
- recruit new photographers to commons (a long term goal)
- advocate for free content, encourage photographers and communication staff to release content on free licenses
- networking with management and communication directors of festivals for future projects
The gender ratio in my contributions will depend on the booking at the festivals. My intent is to make sure the gender ration in my contribution shows more gender equality than the festival line-up does. I achieve this by selecting bands and artists that have female artists at the stage before male only bands. After the festivals, I compare the gender ration of the festival to the gender ration of my contributions and my goal is to have a better ratio than the festivals.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project.
- Identify potential music festivals and concerts
- Apply for photo accreditation to the festivals and concert organisers
- Attend the music festivals and photograph artists. Network with other photographers and artists and festival management
- Use social media accounts of Wikimedia chapter organizations to showcase the project (like Wikimedia Norge)
- Post-process, add metadata and upload photographs to Commons
- Increase quality of metadata through help from Wiki-community (contributors) and embed photographs in Wikipedia articles. I will use the experience from previous community engagement to engage community (example 1), (example 2), (example 3), (example 4) and (example 5).
- Write a report and present the result to the festivals and artists
Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Announcement and invitation to get involved at Danish, Norwegian Bokmål projects as well as the jazz portal at WP:EN.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- I'm myself an experienced contributor. No other editors will lead the events.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, see previous contributions
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- I'm the only participant
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- A similar project occured in 2016. See the report from last year's grant.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events : 2 festivals
- Number of participants : 1 participant + community involvement
- Number of new editors : None expected on short term
- Number of of articles created or improved : At least 200. Last year's project improved 337 articles in 53 languages.
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): None
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Planning support from Wikimedia Norge
- Community has been involved in picking festivals of interest (example 1 and (example 2)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount. For Stavernfestivalen: Three daily return trips from Oslo to Stavern (approximently 310 kilometers each day, total 930 km)
- Car rental: NOK 2000 (including insurance, mileage etc)
- Petrol: NOK 800
- Parking: NOK 300
- Toll: NOK 400
Konsberg Jazzfestival are overlapping Stavernfestivalen and the days will be split between the festivals.
One return trip from Oslo to Kongsberg, and some traveling between Stavern and Kongsberg.
- Car rental: NOK 750 (including insurance, mileage etc)
- Petrol: NOK 400
- Parking: NOK 100
- Toll: NOK 125
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Endorse. This is a really good idea. The user is giving his own precious time for free and all he asks for is a small refund of actual cost (probably less than real cost). Thanks a lot to Toresetre. ツ regards. Dyveldi ☯ prat ✉ post 19:27, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- Endorse. The contributor has a very good track record in adding valuable photo taken from various events where we have got loads of pictures we have used for our biographies. Would be good if he could have support for this so he can have his expenses covered. Ulflarsen (talk) 06:37, 20 June 2017 (UTC)
- Endorse. Toresetre has contributed with a lot of high quality images from concerts, festivals and other events the last 1,5 year. In doing so he has both engaged a lot of other editors in adding metadata to the images on commons. We strongly endorse his project which involves both cross-chapter work and images that are also used beyond the Norwegian Wikipedias. Astrid Carlsen (WMNO) (talk) 09:34, 22 June 2017 (UTC)
- Yes! We need those images! Kimsaka (talk) 20:29, 26 June 2017 (UTC)