Grants:Project/Rapid/UG GLAM Macedonia/Lectures, Edith-a-thons and awards for students
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Establish WikiClub or Wiki section
- Recruit new editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are planning a series of 5 lectures about Wikipedia to a large group of students, and the day after to hold 5 edit-a-thons / workshops (Hands-on) with smaller group of them, in 5 institutions and schools in Macedonia.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
All participants have to be student and a newbies. We engage a local person in every institution to contact with the schools and invite their students on lecture and workshops.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
Yes, we have at least three experienced editors to help lead edit-a-thons, to give a lecture, to help with new editors on how to edit Wikipedia, and to support participants. We have one person who does not edit often, but is able to lead workshop, and one experienced editor who can help only with on-line activities, due to he lives in Germany.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
We will host the events mostly in the school computer classroom or in the computer room in the institutions, which means that the participants don't have to bother themselves with equipment issue. A person from the institution (ex. from the Museum, or from Municipality) will provide books and materials which will be used in the "hands-on" sessions. As participants will be new editors, we do not ask them to have skills to edit Wikipedia, only to be familiar with computers.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
This is our main goal: by this events to establish Wiki Club or Wiki section, in the school or in the host institution. We are going to try hard to keep the new editors and attract a new ones after this events. Active and experienced editors will be in contact with students after the events, by phone, by e-mail and on Wikipedia talk pages. We already have a Facebook page, where we'll post news and will answer questions, etc.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
GLAM Macedonia is starting Wiki Club in the Museum of Macedonian struggle from 19th October on, as a part of their Children Room. We are invited in the Museum for this kind of collaboration. That was initial idea for us to start working on establishing collaboration with other institutions and with schools for the same goal. We already have agreement with schools and institutions we will work with in the course of the next three months (Museum in Bitola, Museum in Kumanovo, Karposh Municipality, Staro Nagoricane Municipality and Schools in Berovo). The lectures and workshops will be hеld in the October, November and December. Dates of the lectures and workshops are flexible.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 10
- Number of participants - 100
- Number of new editors - 30
- Number of articles created or improved - 50
- Number of established Wiki Clubs or Wiki sections - 3
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - none
For writing contests:
- Number of participants - 50
- Number of articles created or improved - we expect at least 50 every month
There will be three propositions we are going to hold on and give prizes for, every month:
- Number of contributions of student in Wiki Club or Wiki section
- Number of new articles of student in Wiki Club or Wiki section
- Best article of student in Wiki Club or Wiki section
- One general award of the best student in Macedonia (chosen from all Wiki Clubs or Wiki sections)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and drink -
$50 x 10 events (5 Lectures plus 5 edit-a-thons) = $500$50 x 6 events (3 lectures and 3 edit-a-thons in Skopje
- Reimbursement for volunteers for local travel, and meals - $11,25 x 12 travels = $135
Accommodation for volunteers - $30 x 2 towns = $60
- Mugs - 4.6 EUR x 30 = $156
- Notes - 0.70 EUR x 50 = $40
- Certificates - 0.25 EUR x 100 = $28
- Other small awards - 1.6 EUR x 20 = $36
- Flyers - 1000 = $136
- Food and refreshment for monthly meetings of the jury and organizers - 30 EUR x 12 months = $402
- Bank fees and incidentals - $43
- <s?Total: $1536 Total:$1,276
*Note: In-kind donations from the institutions and schools, include this:
Also, time and efforts of Wikipedians will not be paid.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- We don't expect that we will find Wikipedians between the students
- This is a cost for only two towns: Bitola and Berovo. Those towns are far from Skopje, where most of the Wikipedians live, so Wikipedian who is going there to give lecture and hold workshop, has to sleep over night. The amount is for hostels, which are cheap solution.
- We decided to pursue all hundred certificates at once, which is cheaper solution, than pursue less than 10 every month, as needed. In this case the certificates will be with a lot of empty lines, in order to serve every purpose, but we will find good solution, I think. The certificates are only for the Wiki Club winners, we'll give them to the students once in a month.
- Note: We need more different, but not expensive awards, to avoid giving the same item to one student multiple times, if the student happen to be the best in several months.
- We will need flyers to spread the word about the Wiki Club, between the students, in schools, etc.
- Note: T-shirts will be given to one best student in Macedonia, chosen from all Wiki Clubs or Wiki sections, every month.