Grants:Project/Rapid/UG GR/Wiki Loves Monuments in Greece 2017
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The overall purpose of this Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest is to increase the amount of freely-licensed material related to Greek monuments in Wikimedia Commons, and improve the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including the illustration of the articles with the uploaded pictures. If the project is going to be successful, more people will know not only about Wikipedia, but also about Wikimedia Commons and new users will be engaged in the projects also. Additionally, the Wikimedia movement and the local user groups will gain visibility within the involved communities. We have to mention also here that this is the first Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest in Greece. Within this scope, we are asking funding to finance the cost of the prizes for the contest winners, and the cost of promotion for the contest.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Launching a website, community notification in Agora (el.wp village pump, wikiel mailing list, other relevant mailing lists, etc.)
- Promoting the competition through the use of social networks (Facebook/Twitter) and photo-oriented web sites.
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date (we will try to have press coverage also during the contest)
- We will invite previous Wiki Loves Monuments participants to join the contest by posting invitations on their user talk pages.
- We will send emails about the contest to our mailing list which includes anyone who has attended an event in the past.
- We will also use geolocated banners to advertise the contest to local Wikipedia readers.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Our team has already organized four Wikimedia Photo Contests in Greece. First we need to make the selection of the members of the jury committee on time. The jury will be composed both by experienced Wikimedians and photography enthusiasts. Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs. Photographers in 4th to 10th place will get a poster of their photo and a participation certificate. Selection of winners, (this date also needs to be fixed) 2017 involves usually work of organisers and active Wikimedians who will check which images are eligible on the first round. The selection of the winners will take place by the jury afterwards (second round).
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- An edit-a-thon is planned after the competition and in combination to the awards ceremony. We are also going to encourage the Greek editing community to enrich existing articles related to the mounuments, to add pictures to related Wikipedia or Wikivoyage articles.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: 200
- Number of photos uploaded: 2500
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 200
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 2000
- Number of new users: 150
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects
- 4 months after the contest, 150 (or 10%) of photos are used on wiki projects
- 4 months after the event, 40 (or 6%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured
# 20 new monuments be photographed
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Members of UG
- Individual wikimedians
- Professional and amateur photographers that helped as during the previous contests
- Friendly organisations will provide visibility and we expect in-kind donations such as free venue for the award ceremony.
Our team has organized a multitude of events including Science Photo Competition 2015, Wiki Loves Earth 2016, and Wiki Loves Monuments 2016, and Wiki Loves Earth 2017, with very good results
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||n/a||3||n/a||900.00||EUR||Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: €400.00, 2nd prize: €300.00, 3rd prize: €200.00.|
|2||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||10||21.00||210.00||EUR||Top ten winners will be awarded an A1 size poster of their photo with the official logo of the competition.|
|3||Venue||venue for the award ceremony||unit||1||200.00||200.00||EUR||We will try to book a downtown venue we have used before at a very reasonable price, however we can also look at free-of-charge options.|
|4||Certificates||certificates for the awarded photographs and jury members||pack of 25||pack||11.00||11.00||EUR||Certificates with the names of the awarded photographers and their finishing position will be delivered during the Award ceremony. Similarly, certificates will be given to the jury members for their participation.|
|5||Traveling expenses||traveling expenses||n/d yet||n/a||150.00||EUR||for flying in organisers as required. TBD for top 3 winners|
|6||Fees, commissions, etc||Banking fees||transaction||n/a||n/a||20.00||EUR||transactions for receiving money, banking fees for payments (prizes and other).|
|7||Beverages/snacks||soft drinks and snacks (sweets or treats e.t.c.) for the award ceremony||n/a||n/a||n/a||50.00||EUR|
|8||Incidentals||expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||n/a||n/a||n/a||130.00||EUR||This item will be generally used to adjust the changes in prices if they occur or to cover some of the incidental expenses that are not anticipated but may later occur as necessary. Adjusted to 10% of the main budget.|
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- 1 x Collection 2: Plath
- 1 x Collection 5: 10 shirts
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!