Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LEV/Spring 2018 Education Program in Palestine and Jordan
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Four courses at three institutes (2 universities and one high school) will participate in the Wikipedia Education Program: An-Najah National University: 1- Geology, 2- Criminology, Birzeit University: Medical Biochemistry, Tale' Al-Amal High School for Girls, and Hashemite University.
- There will be a training session for each course at the university, and at the high school, where students will be taught the basics of Wikipedia, and given an overview of the education program. Further training and communication will mainly be held online. Students will also be encouraged to enroll in the Wiki MOOC
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- As these are closed courses, participation will be limited to students enrolled in the courses. Professors have been welcoming of giving Wikipedia assignments in their courses.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, experienced Wikipedians will introduce the topic along with the professors, and a group of experienced Wikipedians will continually monitor and assist online.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- University students possess the skills necessary for writing papers, and together with the Wikipedia training, and monitoring, they should be able to contribute quality content. Additionally, the professors are there for support. As for high school students, they are less equipped, but still have the skills to write good content.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- After the end of the semester, students will be encouraged to continue editing Wikipedia, and to join in Wikimedia activities in Palestine.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 4
- Number of participants: 90-99 (12-15 in program 1, 12-15 in program 2,12-15 in program 3 and 54 in program 4)
- Number of new editors: 90-99
- Number of of articles created or improved: 30+ (the geology students will expand the geology article,the criminology students will expand and write 9 articles, the high school students will write 6 articles, and the biochemsitry students will write an article per group of 2-3 students)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Available resources at the universities include computer labs, Internet connection, facilities. Professors will be in charge of content, while Wikipedians will be in charge of compliance with the basic tenets of Wikipedia. In person training will be given at the universities, as well as online support. Monetary awards from other sponsors may be awarded to star students.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- * Certificates and certificate holders for participating students: 99*10ILS=990ILS
- Mugs for participating students: 99*10ILS=990ILS
- Wikipedia pins: 99*5ILS=495ILS
- Plaques for participating professors and coordinators: 6*50ILS=300ILS
- Book printing (the Story of Wikipedia): 20*30ILS=600ILS
- Wikimedians of the Levant T-shirts: 20*55ILS=1100ILS
- Stationery: 300ILS
- Remaining funds from previous grants: 114USD+189USD=303USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!