Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LEV/Wikimedia Levant's First Quarter Activities
Please see the sample Equipment application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal. For example, if you want to add content on a specific subject.
- Recruit new editors: In 30 October, Katherine Maher -the excutive director of Wikimedia foundation- visited the w:Hashemite University in jordan and she signed a MOU with the university in that there will be induction office for Wikipedia and a corner for Wikipedia in the university library to be used for training of students in the university and increasing wiki awareness by providing printed materials about Wikipedia (Education program materials, GLAM, General wiki materials/ books,..etc) which will help in increasing knowledge about Wikipedia and its sister projects by engaging the students in the university in reading those materials and learning more about the free encyclopedia from it.
- Add and improve content: Wikipedia education program team at Hashemite University in Jordan will use a data show portable projector to organize training sessions for students and professors to learn them how to edit Wikipedia as well as how to use Wikimedia projects for learning in addition to training professors and students to use outreach dashboard. (Read more about our education activities in Wikimedians of levant reports: 2015/2016 Report; 2016/2017 Report and 2017/2018 Report)
- Engage existing editors: existing editors will be more involved in coordination of training sessions as there's a digital Arabic content wiki club at the university which have an administrative board of experienced editors who will work to organize a university events which will be located in the Wikipedia corner at the university library with different activities like discussion sessions, editathons,and recording videos & voice articles,...etc.
- Raise awareness about Wikipedia's medical content and its advantages/disadvantages, especially about Wikipedia's medical disclaimer.
- Encourage medical students to help in improve English and Arabic Wikipedia medical articles, and to be involved in WikiProject Medicine.
- Start a partnership for the first time with Alexandria Students' Scientific Association (ASSA) (local group of International Federation of Medical Students' Associations).
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment?
- the Arabic content is very shallow in relation to English content and there is many underrepresented topics like women issues, medical topics,and middle East culture. we will continue to organize cultural exchange projects to fill those gaps like Armenian-Jordanian cooperation, Arabic–Bengali Cultural Exchange Program and Arabic- Serbian cooperation.
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?
- Wikipedia education program at hashemite university in jordan is a large campaign for enriching Wikipedia so we will organize editathons for translation of Wikipedia articles, learning sessions about Wikipedia and education, how to use wikisource -the free library- to find books and informative materials, competitions of reading Wikipedia printed materials and also we will record voice articles and explanatory videos.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community?
- the Wikipedia corner at the university library is operated by the Arabic digital content club administrative board and Wikipedia education program team leader- Mossab Banat and and all the equipments will be cared and shared in a secure and careful way because the corner has a door which can be closed and locked to save the equipments. Also the library is monitored by security and cameras.
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom?
- it will be used for the next five years by university students and library visitors under the supervision of Arabic content wiki club administrative board and Wikipedia education program team. After five years the equipment will be moved to the next Wikipedia club administrative board after the graduation of the existing board members.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Wikipedia education program at the hashemite university in jordan is one of the most active programs in the Arab world and preparing this corner will help us a lot in expanding the range of education program and recruiting more editors. there will be a laptop donated by the foundation to help us organizing Wikipedia teaching sessions and the requested projector in this donation will be a great assistant tool to help us doing our presentations in a more interactive way.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of visitors to the Wikipedia corner: at least will be 20 students daily.
- Number of attendant students for presentations with data show projector: at least 50 students per session.
- Number of articles created/improved: we will translate around 150 articles per year.
- Number of voice articles and recorded videos: at least 4 voice articles and 4 recorded videos per semester.
- Number of medical students that will be in the workshop: at least 40 medical students.
- After the workshop we'll ask the medical students (who'll attend) if there are interested to make another meetings to learn them who to edit Wikipedia and write articles (medical one), if yes, ASSA will help to create a research group to write featured medical articles in Arabic Wikipedia (at least 3 articles).
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The main project carried out through this the grant is being organized by Mosab Banat, who is the representative on behalf of Wikimedians on the Levant user group at The Hashemite University in Zarqa, Jordan, as well as the leader of its active Wikipedia Education Program. The project is receiving official support from the University's administration by providing space within the Library to host the Wikipedia Corner. Students are also actively supporting the project by volunteering to sit at the Corner during certain hours in order to interact with any curious questions and such. Finally, a laptop was previously contributed by the Wikimedia Foundation through its Hardware donation program in order to be used by volunteers at the Library. In the near future, the University's administration is expected to arrange for the addition of a Wifi HotSpot and a PC.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Expense||count||cost/unit (USD)||total cost (USD)||Notes|
|Printed Wikimedia books & booklets||10*6||15||900||Colored printing. Most of the booklets are edited/translated versions of Wikimedia Bookshelf|
|Mail stamps||10||1.5||15||For Aremnian-Jordanian collaboration.|
|Certificates||50||1.1||55||For the WikiMedicine workshop in Alexandria, Egypt|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!