Grants:Project/Rapid/UG MAI/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in Nepal
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To engage new and existing contributors of the community.
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of natural heritages of Nepal to Wikimedia Commons.
- To spread awareness about ways to contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of natural heritages in Nepal, that will be contributed to Wikimedia Commons for free usage and spread its importance by its utilization in Wikipedia articles. The competition is important because it give us exposure of our natural heritages. Promotes physical meetups between the Wikimedians. Spread the messages outside the existing community.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Social Media promotion
- Photo walk event
- Photo Ride
- Partnership with like minded organizations
- Tell a friend
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- We will invite Jury from different expertise; people from the Wikimedia community and well-known photographers. Prizes will be in term of photography goods and a trophy. The jury will determine the winners of the local and international contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective, completeness of exif data etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will utilize those uploaded resources in Wikimedia projects by one of the dedicated member in our team looking at the usage rate. Communicating with the contributors and organizing orientations during photowalks and photo rides.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 120
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1800
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 600
- Maithili Wikipedia- Discussion link
Below you can find the estimated project budget for the planning and execution of the Wiki Loves Earth in Nepal 2018 on the basis of Event, outreach and prize distribution.
|Item Description||Nr. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes|
|Main Prize||3||300 USD||300 USD||3 best photos: Gift hampers for Top 3 Photos (First, Second, Third)|
|Additional Prizes||2||50 USD||100 USD||Gift hampers for the top contributor by numbers of photographs uploads. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, and upload more photographs to win.|
|Special prizes (WLE T-Shirt)||10||10 USD||100 USD||The prizes is for the top ten contributors by numbers of photographs upload.|
|Special prizes (WLE Certificate)||150||1 USD||150 USD||The certificate is for the all contributors and volunteers who takes part in the competition.|
|Total Prizes Costs||650 USD|
|Hall Rent (Venue)||1||120 USD||120 USD||Hall rent for the award ceremony in Kathmandu.|
|Food & Beverages||30||6 USD||180 USD||Conference catering (Including tea and snacks)|
|Travel expenses||30||10 USD||300 USD||Travel expenses (for jury members and invited guest)|
|WLE T-shirts||20||10 USD||200 USD||WLE T-shirts for Volunteers and Jury Members and participants.|
|Backdrop, printing and other stuff regarding event||50 USD||Flex print, Stationery and identity card|
|Total Felicitation and Award Ceremony Costs||850 USD|
|Outreach Event||2||200 USD||400 USD||We expect to organise local outreach events in at least 2 cities/towns. This will include (depending on the city/town): where we organise a Photo Walk with our volunteers and photographers. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns for workshops. We might organised more events if we get financial support of local partners.|
|Meetup and communication||2||50 USD||100 USD||For the discussion among the volunteers and communication expenses.|
|Total Wiki Loves Earth in Nepal Outreach 2018 Cost||500 USD|
|Total cost of project||2000 USD (1 USD = 106.00 NPR as of 30 April 2018)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Nepal have always been among top performers in Wiki Loves Earth, with photos from Nepal regularly making it to the international top photos. Making further outreach for WLE will help improve the results. With a rich nature and a good experience in WLE, they definitely deserve receiving funding — NickK (talk) 23:16, 1 May 2018 (UTC)
- Support Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 14:45, 3 May 2018 (UTC)