Grants:Project/Rapid/User:Agbalagba/Yoruba Language Wikipedia Workshop
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To recruit new contributors to Yoruba Wikipedia
- To increase contents on Yoruba Wikipedia
- To create awareness for Yoruba Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- To improve articles on Yoruba Wikipedia
- To engage new and existing member of the community
- To promote the use of content translation tool (CTT)
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions: The workshop will take place between 17th August 2018 - 19th August 2018. On the first day of the workshop, participant would be train on how to create contents, use wiki markups, how to identify reliable sources, copyrights, NPOV etc. On the second day, they would be trained on how to use the content translation tool. At the end of the workshop, there would be a writting contest to increase the number of articles, to engage participants after the workshop and to motivate them to continue to participate after the whole event. The contest will last for two weeks after the workshop.
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Two days workshop
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Yoruba Wikipedia official facebook fan page]
- Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official facebook fan page]
- Yoruba Wikipedia Community portal
- Invitation letter to participants
- One-on-one campaign
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Whatsapp group conversation, and phone calls including on-Wiki mentorship
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- If two workshops are organized
- If at least 25 people participates (including facilitators)
- If at least 10 new editors are recruited
- if at least 50 articles are created/translated
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:Agbalagba (Project Coordinator)
- User:Demmy, administrator on Yoruba Wikipedia (project facilitator)
- User:T Cells administrator on Yoruba Wikipedia (support team)
- User:Adefanike (project facilitator)
- User:Olaniyan Olushola (project facilitator)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
This is the budget breakdown for the workshop
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Total Cost of Event|
(Sumtotal :NGN 609984.75 (USD 1999.95)).
|1||Food||30||3000||90000||9.83||295.08||This would cover the cost of meal and tea break of participants|
|2||Event space||2||200000||200000||655.73||655.73||This is the cost of event space for two days. They will provide projector as well.|
|3||Internet||1||25000||25000||81.96||81.96||This is the cost of Spectranet TOZ Indoor CPE with data|
|4||Transportation for event facilitators within Lagos||3||10000||30000||32.78||98.36||This will take care of transportation of volunteers to-and-fro for two days|
|5||Transportation for event facilitators outside Lagos||2||10000||20000||32.78||65.57||This will take care of transportation of the volunteers outside Lagos|
|6||Hotel accommodation for facilitator outside Lagos||2||15000||60000||49.18||196.72||This would cover hotel accommodation for two facilitators outside Lagos|
|7||Meal for facilitator outside Lagos||2||5000||20000||16.39||65.57||This would cover meal for the facilitator outside Lagos for two days. cost of food per day for each of them is N 5000, the two of them would be N10,000 per day and therefore N20,000 for the two days|
|8||Certificate of participation||25||1000||25000||3.27||81.96||Participants who fully participate in the workshop will be awarded a certificate|
|9||Name tags||30||500||15000||1.63||49.18||This is estimated cost of swags for participants|
|10||Wikipedia T-Shirt for event facilitators||5||3000||15000||9.83||49.18||Participants who fully participate in the workshop will be awarded a certificate|
|11||Prize for contest winners||1||100000||100000||327.86||327.86||1st prize = N 50,000 worth of voucher, 2nd prize =30000 worth of voucher and 3rd prize = N20,000 worth of voucher|
|12||Contingency||1||10000||10000||32.78||32.78||This is for unforeseen expenses|
|Grand Total: NGN 609984.75 (USD 1999.95 ) for the event|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Everything to build the readership & usage of the Yoruba Wikipedia is highly welcomed. Mahveotm (talk) 17:11, 8 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support I will be happy to support a project that focus on recruiting contributors to Yoruba language Wikipedia in any capacity. Yoruba Wikipedia and other African languages Wikipedia needs more attention. T Cells (talk) 05:07, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support This is a good step in the right direction. We need more of this in order to improve and increase our local contents on language Wikipedia Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 05:45, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support With millions of Yoruba speaking/reading people gaining access to the internet, and many more getting in each day, it's eminent we plug in efforts to make the Yoruba Wikipedia viable. High schools, varsities, libraries, institutions and more in and out of Nigeria are always in need of Wikipedia's content in Yoruba. This project will help build, train, encourage, mobilize a committed community of Wikipedians. So much underestimated work to be done. Danidamiobi (talk) 17:34, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Support And yes, we need to keep filling the gap by expanding on content in various languages. This is another wonderful step to accomplish this goal. Wonderful steps to increase Yoruba Wikipedia for the Yoruba content in Nigeria. Great one, so endorsed :) --Alangi Derick (talk) 18:48, 12 July 2018 (UTC)
- Project goals are realistic and clearly spelt out. Yoruba is big and needs every support and attention. Rberchie (talk) 10:12, 5 August 2018 (UTC)