Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Yes, we are happy with how the project went.
Please report on your original project targets.
The list of articles below were created by participants;
- ASo Oke
- Fìlà aṣo òfì
- Otúkọ Yorùbá
- Suny Aládé
- Dodo ikire
- Batle Alake
- Tope Alabi
- Yewande Adekoya
- Ìlù Gúdúgúdú
- Segub Adewale
- Adéwálé Adélékè
- Dayò Amúsà
- Dúnmi Àrágbayé
- Bola Abimbola
- Ìlù Àgídìgbo
- Ìlù Sákárà
- Àjàlá Travel
- Ìlù Omele
- Dáúdà Àkànmú Epo Àkàrà
- Dùrù Gòjé
- fila aso ofi
- ìyá Ìlù
- Opon Ifá
- Aso ile Yorùbá
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|If two workshops are organized||Two workshops were successful organized||We targeted Yoruba language teachers and students. We contacted members of Akomolede Yoruba, an association of Yoruba teachers in Lagos and they sent representatives who took part in the workshop. We also contacted the President of Yoruba language students of the Lagos State University. They participated in the workshop.|
|If at least 25 people participates||More than 25 people participated. We have forwarded the attendance sheet to WMF.||Although, we plan to train 20 attendees but we also welcomed those who came with their friends and interested in contributing to Yoruba Wikipedia|
|If at least 10 new editors are recruited||More than 10 new accounts were registered.||We do want to measure this outcome with the number of new editors that will continue to contribute to Yoruba Wikipedia. A written contest has been lunched and we have created a whataspp group to mentor atendee. Thus, we are confident that some of the user will continue to contribute to Yoruba Wikipedia after this mentorship program|
|if at least 50 articles are created/translated||There is an ongoing contest to achieved this outcome||At the end of the contest we will be able to determine if this goal is achieved|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We are happy with how the program went and we got a good feedback from participants. In fact, the Vice-Chancellor of Lagos State University approved a free hall for the two days workshop with the influence of Wikimedia Nigeria Foundation.
- What did not work so well?
- Internet connection was a very big challenge, so we were unable to do much hand-on training. We were also affected by the 6 account limits but User:T Cells who is an administrators on Yoruba Wikipedia helped us to create accounts for participants having difficulty creating accounts.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will not rely on only one internet service provider
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Sl.No||Item||Budget||Grant money spent||Remarks||Receipt|
|1||Food||90,000||150,000||We earlier budgeted for 30 people but more than 30 people participated and we also gave food to cleaners and security provided by the university||Receipted|
|2||Event space||200000||NIL||We were provided with free hall||Free|
|3||Internet||25000||25000||spent as budgeted||Non-receipted|
|4||Transportation for event facilitators within Lagos||25000||25000||spent as budgeted||Non-receipted|
|5||Transportation for event facilitators outside Lagos||20000||20000||spent as budgeted||Non-receipted|
|6||Hotel accommodation for facilitator outside Lagos||60000||60000||spent as budgeted||Receipted|
|7||Meal for facilitators||24000||24000||spent as budgeted||Non-receipted|
|8||Certificate of participation||25000||30000||spent as budgeted||Non-receipted|
|9||Name tags||15000||nil||We did not do name tags||Not done|
|10||Wikipedia T-Shirt for event facilitators||15000||15000||spent as budgeted||Non-receipted|
|11||Prize for contest winners||100000||100000||Contest is ongoing||NA|
|12||Projector||Nil||32000||We didn't budget for a projector in our original budget as we believe it would be in the hall we plan to rent but we got a free hall and we needed to hire a projector for the two days||Non-receipted|
|13||Compensation and transport support for cleaners||0||10000||Saturday is not a working day and staff members would not come on Saturday. We provided stipends to support their transportation and compensated the cleaners for their time on Saturday||Non-receipted|
|14||Alternative power supply||0||17000||We rented a generator as an alternative power supply. We didnt use it on Friday as electricity was available but it was very valuable on Saturday as there was no electricity at all in the school on that day||Non-receipted|
|15||Extension box||0||4000||We bought two extension boxes to allow people plug their devices.||Non-receipted|
|15||Public address system||0||6000||We rented this for two days||Non-receipted|
|15||Calls airtime||0||11000||The is the cost of call card used for communications||Non-receipted|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, we have remaining grant funds. We have NGN 81,000 (USD 265.57) left. I'll like to roll it over for our next project
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- User:Sanni Raphael
- User:Kenny banty
- User:Dr loob
- User:Àwùjọọọlá Nafisat Adérónkẹ́
- User:Wasi Ola
- User:Adunola mi
Participants were asked about challenges to contributing to Yoruba language Wikipedia and possible solutions;
- The native Yoruba speakers lack motivation from their immediate environment.
- There are many speakers who still don’t know how to write their native language.
- Inability of many researchers to write down their knowledge in Yoruba which is their mother tongue for student accessibility purpose.
- Some Yoruba native speakers believe that Yoruba language is inferior because of the dominating power of the foreign languages especially English.
- Lack of support from government and NGOs.
- Laziness from Yoruba scholars to digitize their work for easy access by others.
- Poor funding and support from government.
- Lack of good understanding of the language as a result of foreign language domination, thereby mislead the readers.
- Private schools attitude towards Yoruba language.
- Lack of good and standard enforcement from the government.
- Lack of cooperation from the association that focus on Yoruba language.
- Professionalism in certain field of learning such as medicine should be able to convey information in Yoruba Language.
- Yoruba language is not fit to teach scientific subject, due to lack of scientific terms embedded in scientific field.
- Lack of penalization of private school that are not promoting Yoruba as an indigenous language.
- Lack of good and reliable internet access.
- Costly internet services
- Media influence hampers Yoruba language as it has much of foreign contents and costumes
- Exposure to digital literacy
- Collaboration of Wikipedia with the literate Yoruba scholars.
- Motivation of Yoruba teachers and students through various programs
- Using role-model to promote Yoruba culture and language.
- Full enforcement from the teaching of Yoruba languages by government such as the one enacted by the Lagos State Government