Grants:Project/Rapid/WMPT/Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Portugal
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Add quality content to projects
- Promote the Wikimedia movement in Portugal
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wikimedia Portugal is organizing Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Portugal for the 4th time. We wish to have this competition annually, as we have seen that returning participants are much more likely to continue participating in the Wikimedia projects, even outside these contests if these events are organized in a systematic way, and if they have a positive experience in the contest.
We are including a special category for wildlife as we have noticed in previous years that most photos are of landscapes and we want to encourage photographers to also submit photos of wildlife (with care not to disturb their habitat, or the subjects).
This grant will give a good participation and visibility in a contest we are preparing very carefully reaching out to nature photographers aiming at getting new Commoners and Wikimedians on the projects. We are asking the help of the WMF to get this sum for the prizes and social media campaign, helping us with the organization. Prizes will be in the form of gift vouchers (Amazon, FNAC, etc.).
We are also arranging to get an exhibition of winning photos to happen in cooperation with CIIMAR and University of Porto that run a couple of Environmental monitoring centres in northern Portugal , . This should have happened last year, but COVID-19 restrictions prevented cultural events.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We have informed the Lusophone Wikipedia community , the Wikimedia Commons portuguese language village pump  and the Wikimedia Portugal mailing list 
- We will share the contest through our social media accounts: Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WikimediaPortugal; 1200+ followers), Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/wikimediapt/; 150+ followers) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/wikimediapt; 35k+ followers).
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will advertise on the projects village pumps in Portuguese language projects, jointly with the international organization using the CentralNotice banner, and through our social media and blog (blog.wikimedia.pt); and through our dedicated website https://wikilovesearth.pt/. Participants will learn about the contest, the rules, the prizes and the jury and they will have a dedicated email address to contact in case of questions.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- We will use the Montage tool with an array of judges picked from the Portuguese language Wikimedia editor community.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Images will be tagged with the WLE Portugal template including a unique identifier for the protected area, through a dedicated Upload Campaign on Wikimedia Commons. This allows us to track which photos belong to which protected area. As we also track which protected areas had previously been covered and which have articles on Wikipedia and other projects, photos can be easily matched to articles. Also, new articles can be written to be able to use new photos.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Not at this moment. We are arranging with the University of Porto a photo exhibit for when COVID-19 restrictions ease, and it is safe to meet. This will probably happen outdoors in the Botanical Garden of Porto, but may need additional funds, so we are not including it in this grant request for the moment.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100-150 participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1500-2000 photos
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 15-20% of photos used in at least one project
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The core organizing team consists of DarwIn, Alchimista, trindadeneves and myself. DarwIn is the main organizer, and is in contact with the international team. The natural areas database had been completed for previous years' competitions and should not require heavy maintenance this year. The website will be updated by the team, and we will devise a communication plan to promote the contest through our social media accounts, published media contacts, and local municipalities. Participants will be contacted if they win a prize or are selected for the international phase of the competitions.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Prizes: Gift cards for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photos, of 500, 300 and 100 euros respectively, plus a special prize of 100€ for best wildlife photo.
- Printing of posters of top 10 photographs: 220€ (10 x 21.90€) for 50x75 cm posters 
- Printing of certificates: 20€ for printing certificates for finalists in high quality paper and postages.
- Photo exhibition: 400€ for organizing an outdoor photo exhibit at the Porto Botanical Garden, in association with CIIMAR, University of Porto.
- Communication: 40 euros
- Total ammount: 1680 euros.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support Project is led by experienced Wikimedians with a track of successfully delivering. I praise the innovative strategy around specific content topics, which could enhance usability of images. --Joalpe (talk) 12:20, 3 May 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support One of the most interesting projects linked to the lusophone community! Hedestad (talk) 17:33, 3 May 2021 (UTC)