Grants:Project/Rapid/WM CA/In person meeting 2017/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went? All the goals of this meeting were achieved and even surpassed. The Board members met with each other and did team building ; the Board even recruited a new member. The Board met with key partners of the chapter, including Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ), Association canadienne-française pour le savoir (Acfas), Bibliothèques de Montréal, Université de Montréal (Udm), Fondation Lionel-Groulx, Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS), Fondation pour l'appropriation collective de l'information libre (FACIL), Café des savoirs libres and OpenStreetsMaps Montréal (OSM Mtl). Upcoming Wikimania have been discussed at length with the Comité Wikimania Montréal (Marc-André Pelletier and Ernest Boucher) as well as with the mentioned partners and their involvement in Wikimania. The Board started drafting the Annual Strategic Plan for Wikimedia Canada and started a framework to establish committees and working groups within the chapter.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants: 15.||Number of participants: 21.||Surpassed our target. The Board Meeting had 7 Board Members physically present + 1 by teleconference. The Board met with 2 members of the Comité Wikimania Montréal (Marc-André Pelletier and Ernest Boucher). The Board met with 17 people representing key partners of Wikimedia Canada in Montreal. The Board met with one pro bono accountant that volunteers for Wikimedia Canada.|
|Create Wikimania Montreal subgroup within WMCA.||A Wikimedia Canada's Wikimania Committee has been created and a new volunteer has been recruited to be the Chair of that committee.||Surpassed our target.|
|Meet at least two BAnQ Directors in person.||The Board met with one BAnQ director.||50% of our target. The meeting with the second BAnQ director has been cancelled. However, the content to be discussed with BAnQ has been discussed and we met with more other key partners that we expected (as shown in the Goals paragraph).|
|Have 2 lunches and 2-3 dinners to socialize, get Board members know each other.||The Board had 2 dinners and 2 lunches to socialize and do team building.||Achieved our target. It was the first time that the Board members met in person. The Board members present met for the first time with one of the two pro bono accountants that volunteer to help Wikimedia Canada.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The logistics was well planned. The rooms for the meetings were available and suitable.
- The team building part was as much, if not more, important as the formal Board meeting. The Board meets formally by teleconference regularly, but a face to face meeting is necessary to get to know each other and work better together.
- What did not work so well?
- There were some miscommunication about the exact schedule.
- The budget was under estimated.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Define a clear schedule ahead of time.
- Use the numbers gathered from this meeting to better estimate future meetings.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Travel (flights / driving mileage / public transit in Montreal / home airport transfers): $1505.75 CAD
- Meals (for two days, meeting refreshments, per diems): $1166.15 CAD
- Hotel: $286.78 CAD
- Total grant monies spent: $2604.00 CAD (100%)
- Deficit: $354.68 CAD
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project? No.