Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Folklore
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Engage existing and new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Wiki Loves Folklore is an international photographic contest organized by Wikimedia community to document cultures in different regions of the world. Wiki Loves Folklore is continuation of Commons:Wiki Loves Love 2019 project with the theme of folk culture. It is essentially a Wikimedia Commons contest which will attain the valuable media - images and videos about different forms of folk cultures around the globe that can later support various Wikimedia projects. It will animate the broader Wikimedia community in improving its coverage on various cultures and new forms of heritage that haven’t otherwise been documented so far. We will use the categories on English Wikipedia to present subcategories to our participants for additional references. Last year we had a successful international edition that ran from 1-28 Feb 2019 where we got 7121 images from 1700+ participants from over 120 countries in the theme pertaining to the festivals and ceremonies from different parts of the world. For more information check our report and 2019 Commons and Meta Page.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The contest will be advertised at different Wikiconventions. We also use all Wikichannels (commons talk page and mailing lists) to communicate it to the community. Apart from that, we have a dedicated website, we have social media channels on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter that our communications team is supporting. We are also in touch with various local affiliates and communities to promote the content in their home communities. We have dedicated “Community Liaisons” to handle these communications. We also have a dedicated Telegram channel and telegram group for the Wikimedia community to keep the interested people notified before the contest period and engaged during the contest to boost their morale.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Volunteer juries from the respective communities, Wikimedia Commons admins, and professional photographers – will judge the photographs and select winners. The selection process will be similar to Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Monuments.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We wanted to focus on a specific topic that is covered widely on different Wikimedia projects. The theme selected by community for WLL2019 is Folklore and sub-categorizing this theme, we will have useful content that is missing from the current Commons portals. This theme has been selected to guide the participants and make them clear on what can be photo/videographed, however, the theme is inclusive, but no limited to. Any media that is relevant to the scope will be considered.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We have diversity and inclusivity at heart and will recall that in our communications. Additionally, this project will cover important gaps of indegenous knowledge that are being left out. It will allow people an opportunity to collect, document and make that knowledge freely available with free licenses that can be used for educational and research later.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of participants: In 2019 iteration, we had the participation of around 1500 people from 100 countries. We would target at least 500 participants this time.
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 2000 plus
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: The next campaign would be organized to illustrate the articles on wikipedia.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Different affiliates and local heritage non-profits will support the project. An international team with tech experts, communication experts and other active members will support the project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Total amount: 2000 USD
- T shirts and certificates for Wiki Loves Love local Wikipedia edit-a-thon winners and jury members: 250 USD
- Merchandize, advertisement and other miscellaneous cost: 500 USD
- Courier cost for stamps, sending gifts & certificates and other miscellaneous costs: 200 USD
- Amazon Coupons:
- 1st prize - 400 USD
- 2nd prize - 300 USD
- 3rd prize - 100 USD
- Top 15 consolation prizes: 150 USD
- Video, Audio prize: 50 USD, 50 USD
Not included in grant finance:
- (T-shirts and certificates for international team of Wiki Loves Love sponsored by Open heritage Foundation, non-profit organization)
- Postcards for winners sponsored by other cultural partners or affiliates
Revised Budget after Pandemic (Note: All the prizes and tokens will be in form of online gift Coupons.Figures are in USD)
|1||2nd prize coupon||300|
|2||3rd prize coupon||100|
|3||top uploader prize for Commons and Wikipedia contest||150|
|7||Expenses for gsuite for e-postcards and promotional video software||552|
|8||Gift Coupons for WLF Wikipedia edition for winners and jury||638|
|9||Fiscal sponsor fee||150|
Total 2000 USD
Definition of Scope
Different types of media that can preferably be included into Wikis are allowed to be send in for the contest as long as they can be incorporated into the wiki structures and are of educational value to the project.
Subcategories Folk culture by country, Folk art, Chinese fortune telling, Folk dance, Europeade, Folk festivals, Folklore, Folk games, Gavari, Folk groups, Folk magic, Folk museums, Folk music, Newweling, Folk religion, Traditional music, Traditional songs, Folk wrestling.
Examples for photos that can be sent in
Folklore people and activities
What we wont accept
Pornographic and explicit images, Artwork due to copyrights issues.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong supportLooking forward to this year's outcomes! 2019 WLL was very successful and I enjoyed contributing and learning about cultural heritage of other regions. *•.¸♡ ℍ𝕒𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝔹𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕡𝕒𝕝 ♡¸.•*𝕋𝕒𝕝𝕜 02:28, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support (Mr.Mani Raj Paul (talk) 13:09, 1 December 2019 (UTC))
- Strong support -Sangaram Keshari Senapati (talk) 15:02, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support - Tiven and Wikilover90 is very experienced users. They will make this very successfully :) -Jayprakash >>> Talk 19:42, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Last year's edition was a great success! I look forward to what's in store for this year.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:08, 3 December 2019 (UTC)
- Last edition was a great success and the theme chosen has great potential due to the lack of images for many themes and the ease of access for users to photograph. Chico Venancio (talk) 14:29, 4 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support A wonderful theme, like last time do count me in for such a noble initiative. --Rajeeb (talk!) 15:22, 10 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support - Wonderful event of all time. Definitely good to go with this. Kind regards, — Tulsi Bhagat (contribs | talk) 03:26, 11 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support -J. Ansari Talk 07:14, 11 December 2019 (UTC)
- This competition may help to increase the media contents related to folk cultures. Nandhinikandhasamy (talk) 04:41, 13 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Consistent follow up, innovative idea and good team work are the key points of them as seen in 2019's project. Hope to see the same or better this year.Will have direct impact on Commons and Wikipedia. Best of luck.-- Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 20:03, 14 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Isaac Kanguya✌ (talk) 14:30, 22 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Kaizenify (talk) 09:14, 7 January 2020 (UTC)