Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Love
- 1 Project Goal
- 2 Project Plan
- 3 Definition of Scope
- 4 Endorsements
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wiki Loves Love is an international photography campaign which aims to documenting love testimonials across various societies, communities and beyond through the whole world. From monuments to ceremonies, from miscellaneous objects used as symbol of love to tender gestures, let's show to the world how love is expressed everywhere and in various ways. It is essentially a Wikimedia Commons contest which will attain the valuable media - images and videos about different festivals and wedding ceremonies in cultures around the globe that can later support various Wikimedia projects. It will animate the broader Wikimedia community in improving its coverage on various cultures and new forms of heritage that haven’t otherwise been documented so far.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The contest will be advertised at different Wikiconventions. We also use all Wikichannels to communicate it to the community, including a website similar to Wiki Loves Monuments will be set up. We will have central notice leading up to and during February 2019 on the Wikis so that Wikimedians can learn about the contest. We are also in touch various local affiliates and communities to promote the content in their home communities. We have dedicated “Community Liaisons” to handle these communications. We are using social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, Telegram and misc. other streams, and keep the interested people notified before the contest period and engaged during the contest to boost their morale.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Volunteer juries from the respective communities, Wikimedia Commons admins, and professional photographers – will judge the photographs and select winners. The selection process will be similar to Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Monuments.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We wanted to focus on a specific topic that is covered widely on different Wikimedia projects. The theme selected by community for WLL2019 is Festivals and Weddings and sub-categorizing this theme, we will have useful content that is missing from the current Commons portals. This theme has been selected to guide the participants and make them clear on what can be photo/videographed, however, the theme is inclusive, but no limited to. Any media that is relevant to the scope will be considered.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We have diversity and inclusivity at heart and will recall that in our communications.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: Both the Indian and German community showed a lot of interest in the contest and both communities are very active. We expect at least 100 participants possibly more.
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1.500 plus
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: Depends on whether the photos are related to relevant articles.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The Belgian and French chapter will also support the project. An international team with tech experts, communication experts and other active members already exists.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Prizes and certificates etc. (1.190 $)
- Cost of printing certificates (30) Dollars
- Cost of printing Postcards (200) Dollars -> will be produced, printed and send from Germany therefore excluded from the total rapid grant, see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:F%C3%B6rderung/Wiki_Loves_Love_Merchandise#Rahmenbedingungen)
- 150 Dollars for Gift vouchers for first 15 winners (consolation prizes).
- 800 dollars for gift vouchers for winners and 210 dollars gift vouchers for first three winning communities.
Logistics (630 $)
- Courier cost for sending gifts & certificates to 20 winners and three communities + postcards to participants ( Uploading min 5 images) 100 Dollars for certificate shipping, 300 dollars for shipping souvenirs
- Miscellaneous (230 $) (Unforeseen or Miscellaneous budget (10 % of the total grant amount))
Advertisement, communication, team (120 $)
- Facebook Ads: $20
- Site Domain Name and Server: $100
- T-shirt (50 T-Shirts) printing cost for International Team and local organizers (190 dollars) (will be provided by French chapter see https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_France/Micro-financement/Demande/Achat_de_marchandise_pour_Wiki_Loves_Love
Total budget (1.940 $)
Definition of Scope
Different types of media that can preferably be included into Wikis are allowed to be send in for the contest as long as they relate to the topic of love and they are easy to incorporate into the wiki structures.
Examples for photos that can be sent in
Photos and videos of love ceremonies
Photos of people expressing love
Examples for photos that we don't want
Explicit pornographic depictions / photos / videos.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Psychoslave (talk) 17:48, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- You should try to put some anthropologist or sociologis in the jury.--Alexmar983 (talk) 19:13, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- Support Lovely initiative with many people working hard to spread love. I like the suggestion made by Alexmar983. Ivanhercaz | User talk 00:02, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sumanth699 (talk) 00:32, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Isaac (talk)06:36, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support I love the idea! Hope to see inspiring photos. --May Hachem93 (talk) 11:41, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- En contra I do not like that idea. I just don't. (suggest changing the name to a less flamboyant tone, so users and viewers can take it more seriously) --Clarities (talk) 14:40, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- I agree, maybe something in the direction of "wiki loves people". Something about customs, traditions, human or social activities and also personal relationship if they have a value for the content guidilines of our platforms. Some of these topic we need to cover more, some of the other ones we have enough material, it's mostly how you present the challenge. Still, it's worth a try--Alexmar983 (talk) 16:59, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Sparrow (麻雀) 🐧 22:48, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sargoth (talk) 23:57, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- Neutral. Considering the broad subject, it seems like a good idea for the modest budget. Although, I do share the same thoughts as User:Clarities, but I don't have a good suggestion at this point. Rehman 04:32, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you @Clarities and Rehman: for your valuable feedback. Regarding the name, it's already well established by now, with many canals and pages branded with it, so chosing an other one would not be wise for us, both in term of communication consistency and of and resource management. Regarding the fact that the topic is broad, it's actually a feature, just like Wiki Loves Africa the aim is to have multiple edition each year with a more focused and narrow theme. I hope this somewhat mitigate your concerns. Cheers, Psychoslave (talk) 21:07, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support I like the idea of covering "love" as a subject and I think it's worth an attempt to have a global contest. Sannita - not just another it.wiki sysop 08:41, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
- Comment I like very much this idea. I would like to add to my support message above that love is something that we need to spread in the world and in the communities (Wikimedia Movement too) because we need to learn to live in peace and love, and of the best things we can do is spread it. Not only love between people, but love between all the living beings. I would like that this contest has an opportunity, because I think it could be very accepted and with many participants, because love is something that we can see everyday. Regards, Ivanhercaz | User talk 21:38, 3 December 2018 (UTC)