Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Monuments Malta 2018 awards
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
- Promoting Wiki Loves Monuments among the general public
- Attracting new audiences
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The third edition of Wiki Loves Monuments in Malta took place throughout September 2018, focusing once again on documenting Malta's vast cultural heritage, consisting of over 2,400 sites according to the the National Inventory of Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands, ranging from megalithic temples to sites of religious, cultural and architectural value. This cultural heritage is increasingly at risk, with commercial and economic interests often prevailing over the preservation and appreciation of Malta's built heritage. It is therefore increasingly important for this heritage to be documented and shared, particularly through channels such as Wikimedia, which allows equal access to all. It is important for this issue to be addressed, particularly as Valletta (itself a UNESCO World Heritage Site) is currently hosting hosting the title of European Capital of Culture in 2018. Furthermore, 2018 has also been selected as the European Year of Cultural Heritage.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Wiki Loves Monuments in Malta has already gained a fairly strong and loyal following throughout the three editions which have taken place, however it is important to continue focusing on further outreach in order to broaden the competition's potential audience for future editions. As part of this outreach, we have started to organise monthly meetups whereby we meet interested individuals and discuss our activities with them. Exhibiting the winning entries at Spazju Kreattiv, Malta's National Centre for Creativity, the competition is being presented to a broad range of people, thereby nurturing a potential new audience.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The contest jury is already in place, consisting of local photographers, heritage experts, as well as an international Wikimedia with vast experience in judging Wikimedia photography competitions. The aim of this grant is to award winning entries appropriately.
- The jury will select winning photographs based upon the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Technical/aesthetic quality of photograph (composition, lighting etc.);
- Heritage value of subject;
- Usefulness of image for Wikipedia.
Prizes will be awarded to the top ten ranked photographs..
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Following the end of the contest, a series of workshops and editathons will be carried out to integrate as many of the entries as possible into existing Wikipedia articles. This, in addition to the regular meetups held, will help ensure that an increasing number of photographs submitted are utilised on projects.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project marks a further step in our collaboration with Spazju Kreattiv, Malta's National Centre for Creativity, one of the most prominent cultural entities in Malta. The exhibition that is being organised will run through the months of November and December 2018, thereby establishing an important presence for Wiki Loves Monuments 2018. This exhibition will display prints of the ten winning local entries, and will also contain screens displaying all local submissions, and top entries from other countries participating in Wiki Loves Monuments 2018, as well as winners from previous competitions. These activities will help further promote the contest, engage new audiences and give prominence to the value of documenting cultural heritage through Wikimedia Commons.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: Not applicable as competition has ended
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: Not applicable as competition has ended
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: Not applicable as competition has ended
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have the full support of Spazju Kreattiv who are collaborators on the project. They will be providing support in kind, providing us with space in which to host activities related to the contest (workshops, editathons and exhibitions) as well as audio-visual and technical equipment to carry out these activities.
We are also collaborating with Photocity, a leading photography outlet in Malta to provide in-kind support.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- First prize: €200
- Second prize: €150
- Third prize: €75
- Fourth-tenth prize: €175 (€25 each)
- Material for exhibition:
- Printing of winning entries: €300
- Other materials: €100
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!