Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Movimento Brasil/Plan

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
statusFunded
Greetings from the year 2030.png
Movement Strategy implementation in the Lusophone community
WMB would like to bring an external researcher to investigate Cluster D from the perspective of the Lusophone community.
targetLusophone Wikimedia community
start date15 September
start year2021
end date28 February
end year2022
budget (local currency)BRL R$ 10,000
budget (USD)~US$ 2,000
grant typeorganization
non-profit statusyes
contact(s)• joalpe(_AT_)wmnobrasil.org• chicocvenancio(_AT_)wmnobrasil.org
organization (if applicable)• Wiki Movimento Brasil
website (if applicable)Wiki Movimento Brasil
join
endorse

Applications are not required to be in English. Please complete the application in your preferred language.

Project Goal[edit]

Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.

  1. Complete research to support a draft implementation plan
  2. Encourage and coordinate community discussions around your draft plan

Project Plan[edit]

Activities[edit]

  1. What movement strategy initiative will your implementation work focus on? Please select one of the initiatives described here.
    25 - Regional & thematic hubs
  2. What community or communities will be involved in this movement strategy implementation work?
    What community or communities will be involved in this movement strategy implementation work? We will involve the Lusophone Wikimedia Affiliates, non-affiliated Wikimedia groups, and aligned organizations, as well as individual Wikimedians and non-Wikimedian stakeholders. An illustration is the groups that were involved in the activities and the organization of the Festa da Wiki-Lusofonia, a Wikipedia in Portuguese's 20th anniversary event that brought together different stakeholdersin discussions about our movement, the needs of our community and what we would like our movement to be in the future. To connect the Brazilian community to the overall strategy process is key to even envision any sort of implementation. Due to several circumstances, this community --including organized Wikimedia groups-- has remained marginal to the strategy process. Our understanding is that initiative 25 is a concrete means of engaging this hitherto disengaged community, as it brings a clear point for discussion around governance. This would be an initial discussion on governance for the Lusophone community --by no means do we expect to implement a hub in the context of this grand, but only spark discussion among diverse members of the community.
  3. Do you have any specific implementation ideas to support this initiative? Are you aware of any specific ideas in your community? If so, please briefly describe 1-2 of these ideas here.
    One of the main discussions during the Festa da Wiki-Lusofonia was the importance of making our community more diverse and bringing people from lusophone countries other than Brazil and Portugal to our movement.  There is therefore a general perspective that we should invest more in bringing more people and more diverse people to key discussions related to our community. Thus, the proposal here revolves around establishing an understanding of an agent to address how to go with doing this perspective move forward. At this point, we need to understand the potentials and challenges for whom the agent of implementation is in our community, so that we can 'localize' and bring to our context the set of recommendations that were laid out from the strategy process. The strategy implementation agent for the Lusophone community is to be framed in a way that guarantees that everyone in our community will have the best environment for developing their abilities and experience. Therefore, the main focus of this proposal is finding what could be done to ensure the building of a more tempting environment for bringing people from all over the lusophone world to the discussions and practices of the free knowledge community, in light of strategic directions identified around diversity, safety and inclusion and rethinking the very idea of what a Lusophone community means. In the context of this grant request, we want to specifically address the challenges the Lusophone community has faced as a whole to contribute meaningfully to our movement. In this sense, we want to include voices that are already in our movement, and voices that should be there. We frame this proposal as aligned to "25 - Regional & thematic hubs", with no expectation that the outcome of the research initiative described here will lead to the creation of a hub. The actual system of governance is still to be conceived, and what we expect to discuss with the community is more broadly how to ensure equity in decision-making and how the Lusophone community assesses its capacity right now and envisions its role in contributing to shaping our movement.
  4. Please describe your specific activities below to develop a draft implementation plan. What will you do to support your goals to implement this initiative from movement strategy? If possible, please provide a general timeline for these activities. When will they begin and how long will your activities take?
    Our plan will rely on research/consultation and data organization/outreach. The general question we want to address is what stakeholders think about governance of the Lusophone community with respect to the Wikimedia movement. Specific activities will include:
    • Identifying diverse stakeholders to join the research/consultation process;
    • Developing a participatory methodological design --possibly with several complementary methods-- upon which the research/consultation will rest;
    • Running the research/consultation process;
    • Distilling from the research/consultation process a set of main points from the Lusophone community around potentials and challenges on governance of this community with respect to the Wikimedia movement;
    • Producing a report with the findings, connecting them to the overall movement discussions. The research would happen between September and December, and the organization and outreach of the collected data would happen between January and February. For the research, we would promote collective and individual discussions with the afore-mentioned groups about what should be our next steps for guaranteeing the presence and participation of a more diverse community, focusing on bringing people from all over the lusophone world to our discussions and practices. For the outreach, we will use on-wiki channels, such as the village pump, email and social networks, so the community as a whole could use the data collected to keep on the debate regarding the strategy implementation and the sustainability of our movement.
  5. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal?

We will share this proposal on Lusophone social media and directly to organizations that we would like to involve.

  1. You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
    Chicocvenancio, Joalpe and the person we expect to contract will be responsible for updating and involving the Lusophone community, as well as ensuring other relevant communities are kept informed and involved.
  2. How will you keep your community updated about progress and outcomes for these activities? Who will be responsible for communicating these updates? Please add the names or usernames of these individuals below.
    For example: User:I JethroBT
    Chicocvenancio, Joalpe, a contractor to be hired
  3. If you are organizing community discussions, what is your facilitation plan to support productive discussions around movement strategy implementation? Please also provide a link to a Friendly Space Policy that will be implemented to support these discussions. If you are not doing these activities, please write N/A.
    Wiki Movement Brazil User Group/Friendly Space Policy
  4. If you are requesting funding for online tools or services to support participation, please describe these services and how they will be used. If not, please write N/A.
    N/A
  5. If you are translating any materials, in what languages will you be supporting translation? Who will be responsible for doing the translations? If not, please write N/A.
    Contractor will write in Portuguese
  6. What other roles are important for these activities? Please describe these roles and provide the usernames or names of who will perform these roles.
    N/A
  7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined in the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
    N/A
  8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?

Outcomes[edit]

After your activities are complete, we would like to understand the draft implementation plan for your community. You will be required to prepare a document detailing this plan around a movement strategy initiative. This report can be prepared through Meta-wiki using the Share your results button on this page. The report can be prepared in your language, and is not required to be written in English.

In this report, you will be asked to:

  • Provide a link to the draft implementation plan document or Wikimedia page
  • Describe what activities supported the development of the plan
  • Describe how and where you have communicated your plan to relevant communities.
  • Report on how your funding was spent

Your draft implementation plan document should address the following questions clearly:

  • What movement strategy initiative or goal are you addressing?
  • What activities will you be doing to address that initiative?
  • What do you expect will happen as a result of your activities? How do those outcomes address the movement strategy initiative?
  • How will you measure or evaluate your activities? What tools or methods will you use to evaluate your activities?

To create a draft implementation plan, we recommend the use of a logic model, which will help you and your team think about goals, activities, outcomes, and other factors in an organized way. Please refer the following resources to develop a logic model:

Please confirm below that you will be able to prepare a draft implementation plan document by the end of your grant:

  • Yes

Optionally, you are welcome to include other information you'd like to share around participation and representation in your activities. Please include any additional outcomes you would like to report on below:

Budget[edit]

How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!

  • Research (time needed to review, perform analysis, or investigate any information needed to support implementation ideas or planning): external research for three months (~US$ 1,000 for the period)
  • Facilitation (facilitation time including facilitator preparation, meeting facilitation time, and debriefing):
  • Documentation (document preparation time, time spent documenting of discussion, post-meeting work): external researcher for three months: writing and reviewing (~US$ 1,000 for the period)
  • Translation (translation costs for briefs and global materials):
  • Coordination (coordinator work to manage or support multiple workflows to prepare for meeting):
  • Online tools or services (subscription services for online meeting platforms, social media promotion):
  • Data (internet or mobile costs for organizers or participants to access or participate in activities):
  • Venue or space for meeting (costs of renting a physical meeting space):
  • Transportation costs (costs of supporting organizers or participants to attend the meeting):
  • Meals (costs related to refreshments, lunches, or other meals during in-person activities):
  • Other: Coordination will be provided by WMB

TOTAL: US$ 2,000

Completing your application[edit]

Once you have completed the application, please do the following:

  • Change the application status from status=draft to status=proposed in the {{Probox}} template.
  • Contact strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org and rapidgrants(_AT_)wikimedia.org to confirm your submission, as well as to request any support around your application.

Endorsements[edit]

Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!

Parzeus 21:35, 3 September 2021 (UTC)