Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikidata of Secondary Schools in Nigeria
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Introduce Wikidata to Senior Secondary School Teachers and Students in Lagos State.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Series of editathons and Trainings
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I have informed WUGN here
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- I take professional pictures for these schools, so I will inform the Principal and teachers directly. I will also let them know through whatsApp status since I have contacts of most of the teachers. The students will be informed by their teachers and I will request time to address them on the assembly. This will also be pasted on the wall of the facebook pages of these schools.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, participants have tablets provided to them by the state government and they are already computer literatre. Others will be encouraged to come with their laptops.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- The teachers will be encouraged to give the students task to edit pages on wikidata which I will send a list on a weekly basis. There will also be a whatsapp group created to engage them, I will also show them tips on a weekly basis on the whatsapp group.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- I will train new participants on editing before starting each event.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 30
- Number of new editors: 20
- Number of of articles created or improved: 300
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- laptop and smartphone.
- User:Yemi festus (coordinator): I will be coordinating the event as I usually take photographs for these schools and I am also experienced in editing Wikidata.
- User:Samatics (facilitator): is an experienced Wikidata editor with about 900,00 edit counts on Wikidata. He is also experienced in writing queries on Wikidata using SPARQL.
- User:DonKevin: He was the organiser of the ground breaking Wikidata intoduction In Lagos State University, Ojo campus. He will help in facilitating the event.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Space Rental: $150 x 3 events = $450
- Food and Drinks: $10 x 30 X 3 events = $900
- Certificate of participation: $1 x 30 = $30
- Router hire: $25 x 3 events = $75
- Branded Nose Mask: $1 x 30 = $30
- Data subscription on router: $50 x 3 events = $150
- Branded souvenirs for all participants: $10 x 30 = $300
Total = $1,985
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!