Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédiens du Benin/Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add more images about the natural heritage in Benin country and improve articles by integrating these images in their related articles or creating articles for non existing articles on occupations in our country.
- Recruit and train new editors through the various photo expeditions, upload sessions and edit-a-thons.
- Add freely licensed, and quality images of natural heritages of Benin to Wikimedia Commons.
- Engage existing editors to contribute to Commons and other sister projects.
- Create awareness about the Wikimedia movement and its activities.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- workshop about the events and how to participate
- Photowalks to gather random pictures
- upload sessions
- training sessions
- post contest integration edit-a-thon
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will inform existing members through the Benese groups and associations mailing list, amd members will be advised to share the information within their social circles.
- The Twitter and Facebook accounts of the group will be used to invite the public to participate in the Contest. Our social media platforms will also be constantly used to talk about the project and the activities going on.
- Marketing flyers will also be printed, in order to get people to participate and to attend the workshops.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Jury will compose of 3 members with different expertise; people from the Wikimedia community and well-known photographers will be invited to join the jury team .Prizes will be in term of certificates and gift hamper.
The jury will determine the winners of the local and international contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons linkded to reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest, ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, and caves of benin to Wikimedia Common
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 40
- 15 newly registered participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 600
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 150
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- After Cotonou, Abomey-Calavi and Porto-Novo, we will expand to the cities of Parakou and Natitingou (North Benin)
- Benin Wikipedia- Discussion link]
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The contest is organized thanks to the voluntary work of the members
- We are searching sponsors to cover other expenses (award ceremony, print of the travelling exhibitions, etc.)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1,911.00 USD
Below you can find the estimated project budget for the planning and execution of the Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin on the basis of Event, outreach and prize distribution.
|Item Description||No. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes|
|Main Prize||3||400 USD||400 USD||3 best photos: Gift hampers for Top 3 Photos (First, Second, Third)|
|Additional Prizes||1||50 USD||50 USD||Gift hamper for the top contributor by numbers of photographs uploads. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, and upload more photographs to win.|
|Special prizes (Photo Frame with the winning photo printed )||10||10 USD||100 USD||The prizes is for the top ten contributors by rank of winning of photographs.|
|WLE Certificate||45||1 USD||45 USD||The certificate is for the all contributors and volunteers who takes part in the competition (40) and jury members (05)|
|Hall Rent (Venue)||1||120 USD||120 USD||Hall rent for the Felicitation ceremony in Cotonou or Abomey-Calavi.|
|Food & Beverages||40||5 USD||200 USD||Conference catering (Including tea and snacks)|
|Travel expenses||10||20 USD||200 USD||Travel expenses (for jury members and invited guest)|
|DSLR Camera Rental||2||25 USD||50 USD||Camera Rental (One camera will be rented for use in the 2 day-photoshoots)|
|WLE T-shirts||5 (Team Member)||10 USD||50 USD||WLE T-shirts for team members|
|Backdrop, printing and other stuff regarding event||90 USD||Flex print, Stationery|
|Outreach Event||2||200 USD||400 USD||We expect to organise local outreach events in at least 2 cities/towns (Cotonou and Abomey-Calavi). This will include (depending on the city/town): where we organise a Photo Walk with our volunteers and photographers. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns for workshops. We might organised more events if we get financial support of local partners.
A vehicle will be hired for transportation of team during the 2 sessions photoshoots in naturals species. Internet will be used during events for photo uploading
|Meetup and communication||1||200 USD||200 USD||For the discussion among the volunteers and communication expenses. Internet will be used during events for photo uploading.
|Total cost of project||1911 USD (1 USD = 590,00 Franc CFA as of 24 April 2019)|
- Support- Mahuton, first time this will take place in Bénin. Mah3110 (talk)
- Support This is the first time Benin organises Wiki Loves Earth, but the team behind the contest has a strong experience of a successful Wiki Loves Africa edition early this year. The plan behind the grant is reasonable, the team is learning from the international team and other organisers, and this is a great opportunity both to get more photos of Benin on Commons and help development of the local group — NickK (talk) 12:17, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support I agree with everything NickK says, and I will also add that I interacted with Mermoze, Fawaz, Mah3110 and was very positively impressed by their Wikipedia contributions. Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 06:13, 10 May 2019 (UTC)