Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia Ghana User Group / re:publica Accra
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
re:publica Accra, the conference for the internet society is happening in Africa for the first time and the Wikimedia Ghana User Group is going to have a session on Wikipedia and Wikidata, a space for interaction, and has put in place measures to have Douglas Scott of Wikimedia South Africa deliver a talk about Freedom of Panorama in Ghana and help activists open advocates petition the government of Ghana to legislate favourably on the cause.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are going to have two workshops one would be on Introduction to Wikipedia and the other would be Introduction to Wikidata. The would be an open lounge where people would come in and interact with members of Wikimedia Ghana User Group. We would also have Douglas Scott give a keynote address on Freedom of Panorama.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Wikimedia Ghana User Group members have been informed of workshops via the mailing list email@example.com and our community's Whatsapp group.
- The times of the sessions, the presenters and how to attend re:publica Accra would be uploaded on the re:publica Accra website main conference website.
- We would give updates as well through our various social media pages. Twitter:wikimediagh Facebook:Wikimedia Ghana User Group Instagram:WikimediaGhana
3. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- All participants will be given the opportunity to join the user group. Within the user group, participants get to be part of the events and the discussions we have, get news from the global community we share, and they get access to experienced editors to teach them or answer their questions.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
|Wikipedia Workshop||Wikidata Workshop||Comments|
|Number of total participants||30 participants expected||30 participants expected|
|Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)||Each participant will make at least a contribution each||Each participant makes at least one edit to a Wikidata item.|
|Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)||N/A||N/A||Unspecified number of the photos will be taken of the event and participants at work.|
|Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)||N/A||N/A||Some of the photos uploaded on Commons will be used to improve the article of re:publica|
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Sandiooses, Team Lead
- Enock4seth, Workshop instructor – Wikidata
- Sandiooses/Owula kpakpo, Workshop instructor – Wikipedia
- Owula kpakpo, Photography, social media and other designated duties
- RoySandy Tei, volunteer
- Amuzujoe, volunteer
- Ragingdarby, volunteer
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Description||Quantity||Unit Price ¢||Total ¢||Comments|
|Data for MTN 4G WIFI Router||Data cost only||2||¢289||¢578||50GB (¢289) each day (The group has two MTN 4G Wireless devices so we just have to buy internet data for them).|
|Food||Light brunch and lunch break for 10 volunteers for 2 days||10 volunteers||¢60||¢600|
|Water||Water for 2 days||3 boxes||¢20||¢60|
|T-shirts||T– shirts for instructors, volunteers, prizes for top contributors out of the 60||15||25||375|
|Pullup Banner||Pullup banner for our lounge at re:publica||1||400||400|
|Stickers||Stickers for workshop participants||400||¢2.00||¢800||200 stickers will be about Wikipedia and 200 will be about Wikidata|
|Graphics Design||Designing works for printing for republica||All design works.||N/A||¢300|
|Cost of phone calls||Communication between user group organisers, trainers, other partners||¢100|
|Total in ¢||¢7,270.00|
|Total in US Dollars at $1 = ¢4.94015||$1,530.61||/ Tuesday 4 December, 2018|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I support this project because it will help the user group and to also establish and complete the purpose for which this grant is created. Amuzujoe (talk) 00:42, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse this grant fully I believe this event is going to further the work of Wikipedia in Ghana and Africa. This would be a form of publicity for the work of Wikipedia and it's sister projects in Ghana. Owula kpakpo (talk) 12:40, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- I think this figured stated for this project is a fair and reasonable amount which would help support this project/Event. I endorse. PaicyDebzie (talk) 19:26, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- I fully support and endorse this grant. I've been working closely with WM Ghana on this conference and I feel this is a very strategic and important conference to help grow awareness, and showcase the amazing work happening in Ghana. Jrabah
- I fully endorse this grant for the project. seedeblay (talk) 14:40, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse. --Nkansahrexford (talk) 15:38, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse. --Roysandytei (talk) 12:00am, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
- Always a good cause to foster communities of practice during engagements like this. Enock4seth (talk) 15:20, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
- I fully support and endorse this Grant.--Ragingdarby 08:24, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
- Interesting project. I endorse this grant.TereseB (talk) 16:50, 5 December 2018 (UTC)