Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia TZA/Wiki Loves Africa 2021 in Tanzania
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa 2021 Health and wellness theme to the existing and new contributors of wiki commons, raise awareness about Wiki Loves Africa and its Impact on reducing African content gap in Wikimedia projects.
- Recruit new and existing editors especially (professional and non professional photographers) to wikipedia projects.
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content on Swahili Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and English Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are going to do at least 2 main in person events (1 for launching and 1 for closing ), at least 1 group photo hunt and in between we will do at least 2 online workshops aiming at raising more awareness on how volunteers can participate in this project.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will use our social media channels Wikimedia Tanzania and Wiki Loves Africa in Tanzania and our metapage to let the members know.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, we have at least 4 active Wikimedians who will help organize the event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Some of them have the equipment such as laptops and cameras, some of them use mobile phones to capture photos. We are planning to rent at least 2 laptops and 2 cameras that will be used by volunteers who will have no either of the devices.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will keep the contacts database of the participants, and assign one of our team members to do a post event follow up, to create more awareness of our social media channels and meta page so that the participants can keep following us on further projects we implement. We will as well invite them to join us.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes, we will have at least 2 in person events and here is the WLA 2020 in Tanzania Risk assessment results based on the current COVID-19 situation in our country.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We are excited to participate in this amazing project, particularly we are happy to add more healthy and wellness related contents as these are one of the topics whose articles are mostly viewed in Swahili Wikipedia. Also we are planning to use the ISA tool to increase the usability of photos in Wikimedia projects
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events= at least 2 main in person events
- Number of participants= at least 25
- Number of new editors=5
- Number of of photos uploaded to Wikicommons 320+
- Number of photos used in WMF projects (through ISA tool contest)=200+
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Jadnapac- Project Manager
- Iddy John - Events Training
- Clement Makangabila- Online events facilitator
- Pellagia Njau & Alfredina Manila-Event Facilitators
- Edwin Bakalemwa- Communication and Community engagement
- Paul Mandele- Venue and Photo hunt
WLA in Tanzania 2020 Budget
|Food and drinks||30 people||$16@30=$480 for both 2 events||This is for the launching and closing event|
|Branding & Stationaries (3T-shirts,Wikipedia wristbands and key holders, flyers, mugs, certificates,banner)||1||170||T-shirts and the mentioned souvenirs will be given to contributors who have uploaded a good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who have exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.|
|Logistics, Communications & Outreach||1||167||transport for facilitators, data and calls|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||2@$200||400||Amount will be spent for transport and food for those who will join the photo hunt|
|Social Media (Promotion)||2@$30||60|
|Closing Ceremony Awards||(1st,2nd & 3rd Winners)||($200 gift voucher, $100 gift voucher,$50gift voucher||The award will be given in terms of gift cards/vouchers and certificates.|
|Equipment rent||3 laptops and 2 cameras||340||Cameras will be used for both taking quality photos for the events and for participants having no cameras to take photos during the photo hunt and laptops will be rented to participants who will need them for uploading the photos to Wikicommons.|
|Bank rates||20||Bank charges|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!