Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia TZA/Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos in Tanzania/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Yes, we did meet our goals and we are happy that the project went well and brought greater impact even more than our initial goals.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of events=At least 4 online sessions||We were able to all 4 online sessions plus support to members who reached out to us at different times.||These events were helpful to raise awareness on how the members should participate in this project as well as in provision of any technical help that was needed.|
|Number of participants=At least 20 people||33 People participated||According to tracking using our hashtag #WPWPTZ And a global hashtag #WPWP|
|Number of new editors=At Least 3||14 new users||8 new users were identified through their usernames while 6 of them participated without logging in into Wikipedia.|
|Number of of articles created or improved=At least 200||8203 pages improved, 8497 revisions, 33 users participation.||According to tracking using our hashtag #WPWPTZ|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We were able to host at least 3 google mewt-online training sessions that aimed at raising awareness about how to participate in #WPWP project.
- The organizing team worked very hard to assist the participants whenever help was needed.
- Many articles were improved by addition of photos to articles that had no photos before
- Despite of COVID-19 pandemic, people still did show positive responses in contributing to WMF projects.
- Our WhatsApp group was a useful tool of communication and provision of quick support.
- Judges worked to their best ability to follow up the contributions from other participants.
- Our hashtag #WPWPTZ helped us a lot in tracking people who participated in the project, it helped us to know the number of participants as well as the contributions they made.
- Renting of devices (laptops) helped much for both the judges and some participants who didn’t have.
- What did not work so well?
- Some of the participants were forgetting to include our hashtag #WPWPTZ when they published their contributions on Wikipedia, that made difficulties in following them up on Wikipedia on what they contributed.
- Some of the participants (especially the newbies) were deleting some of the existing information at the infoboxes for the sake of adding one photo. This happened in swwiki too and it raised some concerns whether it was an improvement or destruction of wiki articles. Later we advised people to merge the photos with the existing information at the infoboxes.
- Limited ways of searching articles with no photos is swwiki, especially lack of tools that match the swahili articles with their corresponding photos in Wikicommons.
- Some participants had massive contributions but with low quality of what they contributed (such as being motivated by the prizes and number of contributions/edits instead of being motivated by the quality of what they contribute about)
- Some participants actively participated on the project without signing in to Wiki. This made some difficulties in following them up when there is something needed to tell them about the project.
- It was hard to provide the support to every participants due to limited way of conducting them (some of them aren't active in reading their talk pages)
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will increase the awareness about how to effectively participate in WPWP projects.
- We will encourage newbies to join our social media groups for further support to better contribute to the project.
- Emphasize the importance of everyone to care for the quality of what they contribute to Wikipedias
- Advice the global WPWP organizing team to develop more tool (s) that will simplify more the process of searching articles with no photos
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
The fund was used as indicated below
|Item||Proposed amount (USD)||Actual amount (USD)|
|Awards||1st Winner 200USD gift voucher, 2nd Winner 100USD gift voucher, 3rd Winner 50USD gift voucher||1st Winner 200USD gift voucher, 2nd Winner 100USD gift voucher, 3rd Winner 50USD gift voucher were given to the winners respectively.|
|Equipment rentals||Laptops at least 5@25 per day for at least 4 days =420||6 Laptops were rented to help the judging process for 6 days=552|
|Branding and Social media promotion||Branding and Social media promotion=172||Branding and Social media promotion=170|
|Logistics and transport||Logistics=160||Logistics=162|
|Stationery and simple souvenirs||Stationery and simple souvenirs =85||Stationery and simple souvenirs= 98|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- No remaining funds, all the funds were used for the project.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- This was one the projects that was easy to participate and it was helped the participants to feel part of the great movement of ensuring