Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Nigeria
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To increase the number of images on Wikimedia Common
- To add freely licensed, and high quality images of Nigeria game reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest,ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, and caves to Wikimedia Common
- To increase the number of contributors to Wikimedia Common
- To recruit new contributors to Wikimedia Common
- To use the images collected on Wikipedia articles
- Create new articles for images collected
- Create awareness for Wikimedia projects in Nigeria
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on taking high quality images of Natural sites including, Nigeria game reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest,ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls that will be contributed to Wikimedia Common for free usage.
- Images of Nigeria game reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest,ponds, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls are lacking on Wikimedia Common. This contest would be a great opportunity to contribute high quality images of these sites to Wikimedia Common.
- It would help increase the awareness of Wikimedia projects
- The workshop under these projects will be an avenue to recruit new community members and the usage of those images on Commons
- It will help to introduce the basics of Wikimedia Common and Wikimedia projects to many newcomers
- It will help to increase the number of Nigeria-related contents on Wikimedia Common
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- There would be a social media campaign for the contest and one-on-one campaign. There would be a publication about the contest on our website, Newspapers and blogs
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- There would be a panel of jury which will consist of notable photographers, photo-journalists and experienced Wikimedians.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- There would be an edit-at-thon that would focus on using the images on Wikipedia.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more: For photo contests:
- If at least 50 people participate
- If at least 800 images are uploaded to Wikimedia Common
- If two months after the contest, 200 (and 25%) of uploaded images are used on wiki projects
- If at least 20 natural sites are photographed
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:Olaniyan Olushola: Contest Organizer, project and Project will oversee all the activities of the Project
- User:Kaizenify: professional photographer and will coordinate the jury process. He will also mobilize professional photographer to participate
- User:T Cells: Online Support and Technical Manager.
- User: Mahveotm: Workshop facilitator and online support
- User:Jamie Tubers: Online support
- User:Agbalagba: Logistics manager
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Below you can find the estimated project budget for the planning and execution of the Wiki Loves Earth in Nigeria 2019 on the basis of Event, outreach and prize distribution.
|Item Description||Nr. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes|
|Main Prize||3||491.80 USD||491.80 USD||Winning photos (winner, 1st runner up and 2nd runner up)|
|Total Prizes Costs||491.80 USD|
|Hall Rent (Venue)||1||262.29 USD||262.29 USD||Hall rental for the award ceremony in Lagos.|
|Food & Beverages||30||6.55 USD||196.72 USD||Conference catering (Including tea and snacks)|
|Travel expenses||30||9.83 USD||295.08 USD||Travel expenses (for jury members, facilitators and invited guest)|
|WLE T-shirts||10||13.11 USD||131.145 USD||WLE T-shirts for Volunteers and Jury Members|
|Backdrop, printing and other stuff regarding event||40 USD||Flex print, Stationery and name tag|
|Total closing and Award Ceremony Costs||925.235 USD|
|Outreach Event||2||150 USD||300 USD||We plan to organize local outreach events in at least 2 cities/towns. This will include (depending on the city/town): where we organize a Photo Walk with our volunteers and photographers. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns for workshops. We might organized more events if we get financial support of local partners.|
|Meetup and communication||6||25 USD||150 USD||For the discussion among the volunteers and communication expenses.|
|Total Wiki Loves Earth in Nigeria Outreach 2019 Cost||450 USD|
|Total cost of project||1867.035 USD|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!