Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nigeria
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- To engage new and existing members of the community
- To increase or improve images on Wikimedia Common
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of Nigeria monuments to Wikimedia Common
- To increase the number of contributors to Wikimedia Common
- To recruit new contributors to Wikimedia Common
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of Nigeria Monuments, that will be contributed to Wikimedia Common for free usage.
- Images of Nigeria monuments, archaeological sites, and cultural heritage are not adequately covered on Wikimedia Common. This contest is an opportunity to contribute high quality images of these monuments, archaeological sites, and cultural heritage to Wikimedia Common.
- It help increase the awareness of Wikimedia projects
- The workshop under this projects will help to correct wrong impression about Wikimedia movements in Nigeria
- It will help to introduce the basis of Wikimedia Common and Wikimedia projects to many Nigerians
- It will help to increase the number of contributors to Wikimedia Common and other Wikimedia projects
- It will help to increase the number of Nigeria-related contents on Wikimedia Common
- The contest will help to establish a long term relation with professional photographers
2. How will you let people know about the contest? Apart from the community mailing list, on-wiki notice, We have started the promotion of the contest through Nigeria Newspapers, facebook, twitter and one-on-one campaign. We have also held a meeting with professional photography club whose members are enthusiastic about the contest and willing to participate. The contest has been published by two newspapers already
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nigeria published by Premium Herald on July 15, 2016.
- Wiki Loves Monuments Competition in Nigeria published by News punch on July 28, 2016.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? We will set up a panel of jury which will consists of notable photographers, photo-journalists and experienced Wikimedians. The panel will also include Two staffs of the National Commission for Museums and Monuments who will serve as volunteer on the panel of jury.The jury will judge individual entries and award them based on the criteria set here
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects? There would be an edit-at-thon that would focus on using the images on Wikipedia.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- If at least 25 people participates
- If at least 500 images are uploaded to Wikimedia Common
- If three months after the contest, 75 (and 15%) of uploaded images are used on wiki projects
- If at least 13 monuments are photographed
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Olaniyan Olushola: Contest Organizer, will oversee all the activities of the Project
- Jamie Tubers: Contest Organizer, will Create Contest Page, Coordinate Edit-a-thon and all the related activities
- User:Darreg: Contest Organizer:Event Facilitator , coordinate activities on Facebook and our official mailing
- User:SDK:Olobe: Contest Organiser, He will coordinate all the project reports
- TbabaOsi: Team Member
- Kayusyussuf: Team Member
- OluwaCurtis: Contest Organizer: Will handle Social Networks like Twitter etc
- Eyitayo Alimi: Team member
- Olufemi Simeon Adeniyi: Contest Organizer: Will handle all technical activities of the event
- Betty Undiminshed: Contest Organizer:Will handle Press Releases
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Project budget table
|Rubric||Number||Unit price||Total NGN||Total USD||Notes|
|Presentation about Wiki Loves Monuments and photo uploading workshop||3||31840||95520||300.38||Local rental and coffee break|
|Photo walks||4||700.90||Facilitate access to the participants in protected areas ( The earlier figure was a "Typo" error, see breakdown below under Photo walk).|
1st prize 63680 NGN
|Closing Ceremony ( Distribution of prices and pictures exhibition )||1||1||79600||250.32|
|Printing of 10 Best Photos||10||5724||57240||180|
- Total cost of project
1982.37 USD / 630325 NGN
Workshop Budget Breakdown per Workshop
This is the budget breakdown for the workshop.
Line Item USD Data for the modem 30.00 Projector 47.00 Catering: Tea and biscuits 10.00 Generator 13.00 Total 100.00
Budget breakdown for photo walk
This is the budget breakdown for the photo walk.:
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Rate (USD)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Cost per photo walk|
(Sumtotal : 139300 NGN)
|1||Car hiring||4||22000||88000||68.5||275||This will cover the transport expenses to the venue.|
|2||Accommodation||4||20000||80000||62.5||250||Two Shared accommodation for Four wikimedians|
|4||Cost of access to monument site||13||1230.76||16000||6.18||50|
|Total: NGN 139300 (USD 700)|
Grand Total: NGN 139300 (USD 700)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!