Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/WikiWoila photowalk in northern Cameroon
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Woila means in the northern locality of Cameroon "North"
- Add or improve content of northern Cameroon
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors (photographers)
- Prepare future editathons in this region
- Categorize existing photos
- Add structured data to the uploaded pictures
- Create Wikidata entries
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- 15 photo walk will be organized in the 3 regions of northern Cameroon by a team of 4 photographers
Grouping and categorization work and adding structured data will follow by some user group members
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The main objective of the project is to make visible the secular arts of the regions of northern Cameroon in Wikimedia Commons: Pottery, traditional tannery, basketry, blacksmithing, historical places such as the architecture of royal palaces and some natural sites, gulfey and oujila sultanates, musgum huts, banyo mount and nganha caves, mazang weavers, kourbi potters, madjema tanners, guiding weavers.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- Photo walk is the first step of the project. After these shots the photographers (4) will upload the photos in commons.
- These photos will be grouped and categorized by some user group members to facilitate their use
- The next step will be edits that will be scheduled later in the region
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Photographers have the necessary equipment for taking pictures. They had to participate in the photo contest organized in Cameroon: Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Africa
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- It will also be question of gathering all the existing photos on the regions of North Cameroon in Wikimedia Commons and to categorize them.
This project is an initiative to deploy in northern Cameroon
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: More than 8 participants and 5 event organizers
- Number of photos uploaded on Wikimedia Commons: More than 300 photos
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 20% of total number of photos uploaded (~60)
- Number of articles improved: 50 articles
- The second phase of the project will consist of the organization of editathons in the region to create the articles
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have two project organizers:
- Geugeor (Douala) experienced in Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons
- Eugene233 (Based in Yaounde) experienced in Wikidata and Media Wiki with knowledge on Structured Data on Commons.
- Bile rene (Based in Douala) experienced in Wikipedia
- Desiré Danga (Based in Garoua) Photographer, Winner of the 2 last editions of the Wiki Loves Earth in Cameroon
- Mohamadou Aminou (Based in Garoua) Photographer, Winner of the last edition of the Wiki Loves Africa in Cameroon
- Other members of the User Group will contribute during the editathons.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Transport for the 3 regions and photo walk : 300 000 CFA
- Accommodation in different cities and villages : 200 000 CFA
- Entrance fees for parks and others places : 75 000 CFA
- Aperitif for Upload session : 40 000 x 4 = 160 000 CFA
- Internet connection during Upload session : 25 000 x 4 = 100 000 CFA
- Sessions on Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata : 20 000 x 3 = 60 000 CFA
- Internet connection : 25 000 CFA x 3 = 75 000 CFA
- Tee-shirt for group : 3500 CFA x 10 = 35 000 Fcfa
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support --Benoît Prieur (talk) 04:35, 1 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support North region of Cameroon have potential that our community will allow world to discover, many photos were winning campaigns/contests of Wiki since two years and multiple projects could be developed there. This grant will contribute about.-- Bile rene (talk) 13:32, 01 october 2019 (UTC)