Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikipedia Day LA, 2019/Report
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Activate and grow the Los Angeles User Group||No||While we did not see a dramatic increase in membership, we did educate attendees about the LA User Group.|
|Educate new and veteran editors on WP initiatives and issues.||Yes||Josh Lim spoke about the tool he worked on, Cite Unseen; Jane Park spoke about the new search utility on Creative Commons; the journalism panel addressed credibility and sourcing and diminishing perspectives; Rosie Stephenson Goodnight spoke about gender diversity; Safiya Noble talked about bias and how it is reflected in research|
|Build local awareness of Wikimedia activities within the region.||Yes||There were discussions about upcoming Art+Feminism edit-a-thons, the Wiknic, and discussed ideas for meetups.|
|Socialize with community members and build offline relationships.||Yes||Wikipedians at the event met in person for the first time.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well? Wikipedia Day LA is about engagement, connection, and dialogue. We got fantastic feedback on the panels from people in attendance - Wikipedians and non -- and from the panelists themselves. Each of the panels were provocative, and there were lively Q&As after each session. I think a lot of us left with new ideas for articles and ways to approach working collaboratively. We also saw that the Wikimedians of Los Angeles community had started to gel - there were relationships this year that did't exist last year, and that's a huge benefit of Wikipedia Day. Several people became members of the User Group as well.
- What did not work so well? The flow of the day was problematic. We built too much into a short period of time, and we had to rush through some presentations. There were also some AV issues that we should have/could have addressed prior to the start of the WP Day celebration.
- What would you do differently next time? Encourage everyone involved to be bossy and opinionated. Plot out the day far more carefully. Schedule a run-through (with AV) prior to the actual event.
Grant funds spent
Do you have any remaining grant funds? Yes, $232.84 (returned to WM, less bank fees, by check, 5/28)
- Cakes, cupcakes, candles Hansen's: $86, $43, $12
- Supplies (Staples) $11.26
- Transportation, Julie Farman, Turo, 1 day car rental; pick up cakes and supplies; transport to site $35.
- Transportation, Stacey Allan, Lyft to Ace $19.99
- Parking, Ace Hotel $90.00
- Drinks and snacks, Ace Hotel $120.00
- Honorariums: Speakers and presenters $550.00
- Tip, main room attendant, Ace Hotel $40.00
- Admin fees, PayPal $12.81
Anything else you want to share about your project?