Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To improve the quality, reliability, and credibility of Wikipedia articles across various languages
- To promote the use of digital media files collected from various photography contests, photowalks organized by the Wikimedia community, on Wikipedia article pages
- Recruitments of new editors
- Engagement of existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- This contest would focus on the use of free media files on Wikipedia articles. Thousands of images have been donated and contributed to Wikipedia Commons via various advocacy programs, photowalks, and contests including international photography contests such as Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Africa, Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Folklore, etc. Yet relatively few of these photos have been used on Wikipedia articles. Today, the Wikimedia Commons hosts over 60 million photo images but only a tiny portion of these have been used on Wikipedia article pages. This is a huge gap that this project aims at bridging.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will launch the contests using various social media platforms. We are going to inform all language Wikipedia communities through the relevant noticeboards (and village pump). There would also be a central banner across multiple Wikipedia languages. Currently, more than 30 recognized Wikimedia affiliates will be coordinating the contest locally. The list of all participating communities can be found here.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- We will set up an independent panel of judges to review contributions and award prizes based on the ranking of user(s) with the most image usage on Wikipedia articles.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- This contest in fact focuses on the use of images on Wikipedia articles and would be coordinated by Wikimedia affiliates, in addition to the general participants.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Yes, we wish to confirm that no offline (in-person) meetings and events will be organized in terms of this grant.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
We will know that the project is successful and we have met your goals, if at least:
- 300 people participate
- 1500 images are used on Wikipedia articles
- 1000 articles are improved with photos
- 20 languages Wikipedia are improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have experienced volunteers. The name and roles are documented here
- We got micro-grant of US$ 1000 from WikiCrid to support prizes and project management
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- We need an additional $US 2000 to support prizes and a few logistics.
- 1st prize = $US 500 worth of voucher (funded by WikiCrid)
- 2nd prize = $US 400 worth of voucher
- 3rd prize = $US 300 worth of voucher
- Other categories of prizes = $US 800 worth of voucher
- Small gift for jurors = $US 200 worth of gift
- Digital banners, project logo design & internet support $US 300
Total budget = $US 2,500.
Amount requested from the WMF rapid grant = $US 2,000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support Timmylegend (talk) 23:08, 10 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support Marta Arosio (WMIT) (talk) 06:31, 11 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support T CellsTalk 07:11, 11 June 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support Isaac Kanguya✌ (talk) 07:29, 11 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support MrbobaxTalk 12:24, 11 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support I am a member of that WPWP team, and think it is a lovely transversal project aggregating people from different languages and initiatives, which can only prove useful to illustrate WP. Anthere (talk) 11:01, 11 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support, glad to be part of this WPWP Campaign. Great initiative. Kind regards, — Tulsi Bhagat [ contribs | talk ] 12:15, 11 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support KAG1LP2MDIAKITE (talk) 07:45, 12 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support Geugeor (talk) 12:08, 12 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support Fawaz.tairou (talk) 14:09, 12 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support Виолетова (talk) 07:50, 13 June 2020 (UTC)
- SupportMatarimi1 (talk) 09:14, 13 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support Filipinayzd (talk) 14:08, 14 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support Aboubacarkhoraa (talk) 08:00, 15 June 2020 (GMT)
- Support This project has a lot of potential and I support it. Looking forward to great results.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:30, 16 June 2020 (UTC)