Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos at Wikimedia Hub,Owerri
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Improve existing content on Wikipedia
- Equip existing editors with the skill set of image addition on Wikipedia
- Engage existing editors
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Participant from wikimedia Hub,Owerri will focus on adding images to Wikipedia articles using existing files on Commons. This is a great way of engaging the members of the recently launched hub in South East Nigeria. They will have a hands-on experience of a contest that's focused on Commons, image adding, image file size increase and image tagging/title. it's a way to showcase the diversity of the work of the movement to these newly joined editors who thinks wikimedia is just about editing and writing Wikipedia articles when actually there is always something to fit in for everyone including things as simple as adding existing images to Wikipedia articles. This realization will make them build a home in the movement.it also gives them the opportunity to participate and emerge winners.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
- This has been done by making a notification on the discussion page of Wikimedia Nigeria User group and talk page of Ptinphusmia, founding lead of wikimedia Hub, Owerri
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them
- We will inform people by sharing information about the contest on the community WhatsApp group and social media platforms.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
The article or section a participant is adding a photo should not have any previous image and the image has to be relevant.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- A tool for identifying articles without photos have developed and we will be sourcing photos from wiki loves Africa, Wiki loves monument,Wiki loves earth and other pictures from wikimedia commons.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project provides an opportunity for the Owerri Hub to grow stronger. No offline(in-person) activity will organized.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 30
- Number of articles are improved with photos: 1000
- Number of new editors: 5 editors
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Dolphyb (Project and Campaign Lead) - I am an experienced Wikipedian, and member of the organizing committee of wikimedia hub, Owerri. I won the first position and second position in the 2020 WPWP nationally and internationally respectively. I emerged the second winner of 2020 Wiki4climate online edit-a-thon and 1st position in the Igbo 100 articles challenge. I was also part of the local Organizing committee for South East Edit-a-thon.
- Ptinphusmia will also lead as the assistant campaign coordinator, considering her wealth of experience in organizing Wikimedia projects such as South East Edit-a-thon, Wiki4climate online edit-a-thon, facilitating movement strategy follow-up discussions for room 2 of Skills and Leadership Development (cluster C) and moderating the two-day strategy discussions for Igbo Wikimedia Usergroup
- Prizes (Android phones and certificates) = $400
- Internet support for team members (event trainings and check In) = $10.53 per member per week × 8 weeks = $84.24 × 3 members = $252.72
- Internet support for participants during the event = $1.52 per person per week × 8 weeks = $12.16 × 30 Participants = $364.8
- Branded hoodies for team members = $33.33 per person × 3 = $100
- Promotions and branding = $300
- Airtime for Communication = $33.33 per team member × 3 = $100
- Miscellaneous funds (logistics for prizes procurement and delivery and bank charges) = $100
- Strong support This is a very viable project with great potential of improving Wikipedia pages, with specific reference to those pages lacking photos. I believe this project will help improve the overall quality of Wikipedia pages while also creating room for the recruitment, training and mentoring of new editors. Omorodion1 (talk) 19:11, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support this is very good idea.AnasskokoTalk 19:19, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Godstime Elijah (talk) 19:49, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Noble initiativeOby Ezeilo (talk) 21:27, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- Support this for the Owerri Hub! James Moore200 (talk) 00:51, 12 May 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Kunokuno (talk) 07:43, 12 May 2021 (UTC)
- Support I am User: T Cells from the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos International Team. We are glad to have your team joining the campaign this year. Please review the organizer's guide and Best practices in organizing WPWP Campaign in your community. We strongly recommend that you keep the local prizes under USD 400. With kind regards. T CellsTalk 20:55, 12 May 2021 (UTC)