Grants:Project/Rapid/Women in Red
A two month contest focused on recruitment of editors from diverse backgrounds to create new biographical articles on women from underrepresented areas of the world.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- We will focus on outreach and research into normally underrepresented areas of the world and engage new and existing editors in writing articles about women from these communities.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- With messages on Wikipedia, campaigning on social media, and outreach through the WiR and GDVCUG volunteer networks.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The contest will be judged by a panel of experienced Wikipedia editors elected by the community. The prizes will be awarded in February 2019 and will be a set of books, book tokens, and custom printed items (low cost items printed with Wikipedia/WiR logo) worth $900 ($100 will cover fees and postage). The prizes will be sourced in the most practical way noting the international nature of the contest.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is an extension of the enormously successful world contest in 2017. Where the world contest focused heavily on subjects from the US and Europe, this contest aims to have the same uplifting impact of coverage of the rest of the world.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- It is expected that there will be over a thousand participants.
- The target is to achieve a minimum of 2000 new articles.
- There will be separate targets for article improvement.
- As part of the project, mentoring and assistance to new editors will be given. The aim is to drive positive editor retention for editors from underrepresented or minority groups.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project is being organised collectively by the Women in Red WikiProject and Gender Diversity Visibility Community User Group.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- $1000 to obtain prizes, it is expected that there will be around 20 individual prizes.
- Logistical support to distribute prizes to contest winners.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Endorsed: A well presented proposal with realistic goals.--Ipigott (talk) 08:52, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- Endorsed: Based on the success of the last contest, I look forward to seeing where this goes. --Ser Amantio di Nicolao (talk) 09:12, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- Note: Frayae has been blocked on en.wiki as a sock of a community banned user. They will therefore be unable to administer this grant. GMGtalk 16:41, 15 November 2018 (UTC)