Grants:Project/Rapid/ Wikimedia Ghana UG/ Social Media & Online Outreach
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- We want to train our social media managers on how to effectively communicate the vision of Wikipedia and Wikimedia Ghana User Group through social media.
- This project is to help the social media team get sufficient internet data for the work they do also we want to train them on our to effectively run social media campaigns on how to edit Wikipedia.
- Also, most of the people we want to recruit to be active editors only means of reaching the user group is through our various social media pages. In the past, we used to actively engage our various communities through our social media by educating them on how to create Wikipedia pages, point out articles that needs to be worked on and recruit new editors.
- This project wants to revive that and also do more by making sure there is a targeted approach to recruiting members and getting people to know the work we do as Wikimedia Ghana User Group.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The project would be carried out offline, where we would be training members of our social media team and also active editors of our community on how to engage people about Wikipedia through social media. Then the social media team would begin the engagement through using tools and learnings they would get from the training.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- We would use our social media accounts, mailing list and Whatsapp platforms below to communicate our project. Since its a social media outreach our main channel of communication would be our social media accounts.
- Mailing list: Wikimedia-gh@lists.Wikimedia.org
- Facebook: Wikimedia Ghana User Group
- Twitter: WikimediaGh
- Instagram: Wikimediaghana
- LinkedIn: Wikimedia Ghana User Group
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We would have trained our social media team and some active editors of our community on how to use social media to engage and recruit editors on Wikipedia.
- We would create sufficient awareness about Wikipedia and its sister Wiki's through our online outreach and engagements.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 10
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The User group already has MTN internet Mifi's bought for the Social media volunteers already which is one of the essential things they need.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Internet Charges for Training and running social media=
- Transportation for Trainer=
- Transportation for Volunteer=
- Cost of keeping an official email=
- External Hard Drive for User Group=