Grants:Project/Rapid/samatics/Wikipedia 20 Celebration at Badagry Slave Museum and Black History Museum
- What kind of event(s) or activities are you planning to hold for your Wikipedia 20 event? Please let us know if these events include a meetup, edit-a-thons, workshops, photowalks, contests, or any kind of campaign.
- This project is aimed at celebrating the 20th anniversary of Wikipedia at Badagry Slave Museum and Black History Museum. On the 15th of January 2020, we plan to organize an event and workshop at the museum to create new contents or improve existing articles about slavery & black history in Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. Participants would take photos of historical items in the museum and upload same on Wikimedia Commons for use on related Wikipedia articles. Participants would also use these images on Wikipedia articles. The workshop would be followed by cake-cutting and party to celebrate Wikipedia's 20th anniversary.
- If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- Participants have the equipment needed to contribute high quality contents. Participants would be students and teachers with computer devices.
- How will you promote and let participants know about your Wikipedia 20 event? Please describe or link to the spaces you will be using to inform your community about your activities. Please note there are resources available to support your communications for Wikipedia 20 events.
- Nigerian Wikimedians mailing lists and WhatsApp groups
- How will you keep participants engaged after the event is over? How will you be sharing photos, videos, or other content from your activities after they are completed?
- We will create a WhatsApp group to follow up with participants.
- Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Please confirm below that you have listed your event on the WP20 page on Meta-wiki.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants:35
- Number of new participants: 25
- Number of people who will help organize the event:5
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable):50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable):100
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 50
If you are organizing a meetup or event without any contributions to celebrate Wikipedia 20, we request that you ask participants to complete a brief survey to understand their experience and impact of your event. This survey will not request any personally identifying information. Will you be able to collect this information either during or after your event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have experienced editors to facilitate the event. They include
- en:User:Samatics (event coordinator)
- User:T Cells (facilitator)
We also have computer devices for the workshop What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and refreshment - 5000 x 40 = 200,000
- Space rental - 100,000
- Router/dongle hardware rental = 25,000
- Data bundle for Internet access: 20,000
- Banner at event centre: 30,000
- Digital banner on social media: 20,000
- Wikipedia 20th Shirt for facilitators and best participants 5,000 x 10 = 50,000
- Wikipedia pens and notepads: 2,500 x 40 = 100,000
- Birthday Cake: 30,000 x 1 = 30,000
- Transport for facilitators: 10,000 x 5 = 50,000
- Camera Rental : 20,000 x 1 = 20,000
- Music DJ = 50,000
- Contingency = 20,000
Total budget =715,000 NGN (1,865 USD)
Endorsements are not needed for events related to Wikipedia 20. Community members are welcome to provide feedback or questions on the talk page.