Grants:Project/Sudanese Content on Wikimedia 2021
This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. Open Foundation West Africa (OFWA) administered the grant on behalf of User:Maram ali ahmed and User:Esam Idris.
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
The main problems we are trying to impact are: 1-The content about Sudan in all Wikimedia project especially wiki common ( improvements of quality and quantity)
- Help in uploading more content about Sudan and the People of Sudan in wiki common.
- Help enhance the quality of Wikipedia articles.
- Development of Sudan Community to help to ensure sustainable growth of the Wikimedia projects
- Training of new users and networking among community members (Librarians, new users ( editors for Wikipedia, photographers).
What is your solution?
For the problem, you identified in the previous section, briefly describe your how you would like to address this problem. We recognize that there are many ways to solve a problem. We’d like to understand why you chose this particular solution, and why you think it is worth pursuing. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Sudan Wikimedia community is a user group established in june 2020 and organized several activities to increase contribution to Wikimedia projects from Sudan. The group since early 2019 is voluntary working to establish a strong community in Sudan post the September Revolution the context of the country has very much changed.
Contributes to solving the problem identified we are planinng to facilitate three main activities: 1-Training Librarians for 1Lib 1Ref 2- orgnaizing of Wiki loves Sudan Contest.
- Photographers training
- two events to lunch and closing of the contest.
- publications of contest theme and time frame, and three winners announcing.
The main goal of the events and training is to create and establish a Sudan Wikimedia community of regular contributors to wiki commons and Wikipedia from Sudan, in both Arabic and English version
How will you know if you have met your goals?
For each of your goals, we’d like you to answer the following questions:
- During your project, what will you do to achieve this goal? (These are your outputs.)
- Once your project is over, how will it continue to positively impact the Wikimedia community or projects? (These are your outcomes.)
For each of your answers, think about how you will capture this information. Will you capture it with a survey? With a story? Will you measure it with a number? Remember, if you plan to measure a number, you will need to set a numeric target in your proposal (e.g. 45 people, 10 articles, 100 scanned documents). Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
To activate Wikimedia Community in Sudan through training of Librarians and Photographers. 2. To increase the number of users adding content to wiki common with more understanding of copyrights and open-source ethics.
The Expected impacts
More users interested in Sudan Content will join Wikipedia and more photographers will upload photos about Sudan and People of Sudan target of are 400 Photos.
The events organized within the project will help the community to get bigger and get supported by different content creators especially (audio and video). Wikipedia articles edited with references and content from wiki common 100 articles. New users join the Wikimedia community (about 60 users). Wikimedia Sudan Community will develop partnerships with GLAM potential institutional (University Libraries).
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
Are any of your goals related to increasing participation within the Wikimedia movement, or increasing/improving the content on Wikimedia projects? If so, we ask that you look through Objectives: To help upload more content about Sudan To improve articles on Wikipedia with visual content To help document the cultural, historical and indigenous activities of the Sudanese people To help increase Sudanese participation in content creation on Wikipedia (recruit members to Wikimedia Sudan Community)
these three metrics, and include any that are relevant to your project. Please set a numeric target against the metrics, if applicable. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
numbersof phoots uploded in wiki common number of new users trained for wikipeida number of users register in events for Wikimeida Sudan community
Training for New Users
We organized two training targeted librarians, journalists individuals from universities, and students.
The training will continue to series of training we started in June 2021 and organized with the coordination of three university libraries and journalists.
The planned activities will support events planned in 2021 for Wiki Loves Sudan (October - November 2021) includes new users training for photographers and photo walks, upload sessions for wiki commons.
Orgnizing Sudan first 1 Lib 1 Ref.
editing sessions (edit-a-thons) also will be organized
- Wiki Loves Sudan Contest
We are organizing two “one-day training” total of 3 days for photographers and journalists to prepare for Wiki Love Sudan contest, 2 training events will be organized in Khartoum and 1 South Darfur with 10 people in each.
The target is to train total of 30 photographers (10 people each training) from different age groups. We have already contacted the Sudanese Photographers group and we are planning few meetings with different groups to look at the Wiki Love Sudan we are proposinf the theme “Revelution”.
We are planning two “one day training” for photographers and journalist to prepare for Wiki Love Africa, three events will be organized in Khartoum and 1 South Darfur 10 people in each.
The photographers training will be organized in cooperation with the Sudanese Photographers Group, a National base collection of photographers.
New Users Training
To help the community Development plan six days of training for new users training will target new individuals this will cover the development of commuinity capacity and also as preparation for the 1 Lib 1Ref event.
This 6 days training will be done in coordination with three universities, 30 participates will be trained 10 each training in creating new articles editing adding content from wiki common.
Events Preparation meetings
Coordination meeting for planing the events to launch the contest and to create a community of Wikimedia and Wiki-Common users.
The events are planned to facilitate the process of linking between common users and Wikipedia articles creators, editors to help them collectively address the issue of filling the gap in the content about Sudan Cities, and to plan the future of cooperation with the Wikimedia Community.
The contest judging the Photos and winners announcement
Contest theme announcement and dates
We, Will, use both Facebook pages(Wikimedia Sudan, Sudanese Photographers) Twitter, and Instagram to announce the events and to brand the WikiLoveAfrica theme.
We will use different publications (banners, leftists) on streets posters in Cultural centers and universities, and public places covering Khartoum and a number of Cities in Sudan.
A committee of three people will be selecting the winner two of them will be photography experts and the third is a Journalist. The completion will be one month long from October to 10 November 2021.
With winners announcement on 2021.
The target is to train a total of 30 photographers from different age groups. We have already contacted the Sudanese Photographers group and we are planning few meetings with different groups to look at the WikiLove Sudan theme “Revelation”, and how we can plan the events to launch the contest and to create a community of Wikimedia and Wiki-Common users. The events will facilitate the process of linking between common users and Wikipdia articles creators, editors to help them collectively address the issue of filling the gap in the content about Sudan Cities, and to plan the future of cooperation with the Wikimedia Community.
May 2021 - June 5
The Sudan Community will be participating in the global campaign to add references to improve the quality of articles that exist about a topic relating to Sudan or Africa in general.
- An easy way to engage the community
- Increase the quality of Sudanese content
- Engage or recruit librarians⅜ or writers for the community
- Recruit new members through the campaign’s easy to participate module An opportunity to reach out to more librarians through the campaigns massive online network
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
Total = 10000 $
a link to the budget spreadsheet is provided here
Community input and participation helps make projects successful. How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve during your project?
We, Will, use both Facebook pages and other social media platforms to announce the events and to brand the WikiLoveAfrica theme.
Sudanese Photographers Facebook page []
Twitter and Instagram profile pictures of participants
We will use billboards on Khartoum streets posters in Cultural centers and universities and public places covering Khartoum and a number of Cities in Sudan.
This project is organized by the Sudan User Group Community.
- In 2018 the founding group were part of wiki Gap 2.0 Sudan.
- In 2020 the community orgnized the Wiki Gap 2.0 in which 25 new users were trained and total of 100 Articles were Edited (created and edited) with support of the Swedish Embassy in khartoum.
For more details please refer to the community meta page.
- In 2021 the group orgnized Wiki Gap 3.0. Total of 11 new users were trained 2 edit-a-thon sessions were orgnized.
The current members involove in planing the events are:
Other Members contributing in training and networking
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc. Community Telegram group [] Need notification tips?
- Support Wiki Love Africa Sudan group: congratulations on this proposal, which has my strong endorsement. There is a need for images from your region and they will be a welcome addition to Wikimedia Commons. If I can assist in any way, please let me know. --Paul Burley (Northwestern University) Prburley (talk) 20:11, 11 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support We need to create capacity in other regions! This proposal tackles that need and strategically seeks to create liaisons with librarians, I also offer my support if needed! Silva Selva (talk) 20:33, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support Generally wholeheartedly support. And hope very much WMF is able to fund Sudan from now on ! With one request though... please avoid branding confusion. You seem to alternate between using different names for your photographic activities. Sometimes Wiki Loves Sudan, sometimes Wiki Loves Africa, sometimes Wiki Loves Africa Sudan... Please do not use "Wiki Loves Africa" to name your photo project that will run around Oct Nov, whilst the eponym international photo contest is likely to run in Feb-April. It would seriously confuse things :)) I'd say "Wiki Loves Sudan" is a great name. Probably need to rename the wiki page as well (perhaps Grants:Project/Sudan User Group Community ?). Those are details, but please do not bring confusion. I hope it works ! Oh, and by the way, when you set up your photographic training, I'd love to share ideas and experience with you (because doing something similar in Cameroun with the c:Commons:Nos Jardins project - in French).Anthere (talk) 11:18, 10 April 2021 (UTC)
Maab Hussien Mohamed Alfaky There is a big gab that needs to be filled and more info and pictures as well needee,this proposal has my full endorsement becuase we need to have more regular contributors in this program , I'd love to help with anything if needed ! Elaf Ibrahim Oz