Grants:Project/University of Virginia/Machine learning to predict Wikimedia user blocks/Timeline
Timeline for University of Virginia
|start||1 January 2019|
|most analysis complete||31 March 2019|
|conference presentations begin||1 April 2019|
|Article publication||30 April 2019|
|on-wiki community consultation||30 June 2019|
|report recommendations for practical changes||31 July 2019|
|project end||31 August 2019|
Please prepare a brief project update each month, in a format of your choice, to share progress and learnings with the community along the way. Submit the link below as you complete each update.
The best place to get information about this project is the main project page at Automatic Detection of Online Abuse! This timeline is just a different presentation of that content!
- private presentation at a board meeting of the Data Science Institute, Friday 5 April 2019
- Cyber Harassment Detection and Prediction of User Blocks in Wikipedia, Tom Tom Festival, 11 April 2019
- Friday 26 April 2019
- primary research paper
- Rawat, Charu; Sarkar, Arnab; Singh, Sameer; Alvarado, Rafael; Rasberry, Lane (13 June 2019). "Automatic Detection of Online Abuse and Analysis of Problematic Users in Wikipedia". 2019 Systems and Information Engineering Design Symposium. doi:10.1109/SIEDS.2019.8735592.
- Papers Detailing Ethical Implications of this research
- Rawat, Charu (29 June 2019). "An Ethical Reflection on User Privacy and Transparency of Algorithmic Blocking Systems in the Wikipedia Community". Zenodo. doi:10.5281/zenodo.3262364.
- Singh, Sameer (14 June 2019). "Ethical considerations in Wikipedia automatic abuse detection system". Zenodo. doi:10.5281/zenodo.3245516.
- Sarkar, Arnab (29 June 2019). "An Ethics driven approach for implementing automated harassment blocks on the Wikipedia platform". Zenodo. doi:10.5281/zenodo.3262366.
- Data and Code Artefacts
- Powerpoint Presentation - Automatic Detection of Online Abuse in Wikipedia
- Video presentation Automated detection of Wikipedia misconduct!
- Wednesday 5 June 2019
- bluerasberry (31 July 2019). "Most influential medical journals; detecting pages to protect". The Signpost.
- presentations at Wikimania 2019, 14-18 August 2019
- Wikimania 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT+ meetup - general discussion about countering harassment
- Wikimedia Medicine meetup - general discussion about detecting undisclosed conflict of interest / paid editing
- Presented new policy recommendations -
Rasberry, Lane (10 November 2019), "Machine learning for wiki by university students", WikiConference North America (Boston: WikiConference North America)
New end date
30 September 2019
I am presenting this project at Wikimania 2019 from 14-18 August. I will have some more to report about this project's outcomes after that conference. I had planned an end-of-August end date. I would like to change that to end of September to incorporate some conference outcomes. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:24, 7 August 2019 (UTC)